Advice re: circa 1937 European camera aperture markings please

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jmccl@yahoo.com, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jmccl@yahoo.com

jmccl@yahoo.com Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all. I am acquiring a circa 1937 French manufactured 6X9 folder. Shutter speeds are 100, 50, 25, B, T. Aperture markings are 25 18 12,5 9 and 6,3. It is a 105mm lens. I am acustomed to the more traditional - - - 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 - - - aperture markings that I have on my Zeiss 105mm 6X9. Does anybody have any insight into this different scale on the French 1937 model vs the 1951 Zeiss? I plan to shoot using sunny 16 conventions so I imagine I will just interpolate on the aperture scale. It is curious to me why the difference in the scale markings. Somebody out there in APUG land probably has some insight on this. By the way, I plan to use this vintage French camera to capture some ikonic (it's not just a Zeiss word ;-}) French landmarks during my September invasion of the continent. I also have a 1941 Argus C3 (ala Tony Vaccaro) to use while in the Normandy invasion locales.

Thanks for all responses.

Jim

2. frank

frank Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is an old and discontinued aperture scale. Ive heard it called the Continental scale. I have a leitz lens like that. Just interpolate like you surmised. Other old aperture scale systems require conversion charts, but not this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was one invasion not enough? Do you really need to make another?

4. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
  5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Long ago some lens apertures were marked in full stops from the largest aperture, as in the OP's example. It may seem less logical to one who uses a variety of lenses, but makes sense enough for a one-camera photographer.

6. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The obsolete aperture number sequence: f/6.3, f/9, f/12.5, f/18, f/25 passes 1/3 stop less light than the modern conventional sequence f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22.

Thus

f/6.3 passes 1/3 stop less light than f/5.6

f/9 passes 1/3 stop less light than f/8

f/12.5 passes 1/3 stop less light than f/11

f/18 passes 1/3 stop less light than f/16

f/25 passes 1/3 stop less light than f/22

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, if one started with an odd f-stop number with the largest aperture it made sense to go on with it for the smaller ones.

Unless exposure meters etc. got the even numbers...

8. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is not the case here. It's a normal and typical european aperture scale from that period. It's the same scale as the modern, just different numbers.

There's no need to interpolate on it, since the shutter speeds are slower. If your exposure meter says aperture 8 and 1/125 use aperture 9 and 1/100 sec.