Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by PhotoBob, Nov 14, 2007.

1. PhotoBob

PhotoBob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been thinking about getting rid of the 645 ProTL and move to a 35 rangefinder, e.g. Zeiss Ikon.
    Not sure however, if I will be happy with a rangefinder over my comfort with SLR.
    I won't have the flexibility in lenses nor lenses of a reasonable price.
    If I'm not mistaken, close focusing is a problem or not possible with rangerfinders.
    But yet, this type of camera interests me.
    If I can get a good price for the 645, it might make it a bit easier to secure a camera with at least a 35mm lens.
    I know there is a dealer in far off Ontario, but I don't know of any one here that carries such gear that I could handle and try out, thus ... I sure would appreciate thoughts or comments - thank you.

2. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Bob,
    Rangefinders are quite different from SLR's - in addition you'll be changing film format. I'd suggest that before you get rid of your 645, why don't you get a Canonet QL17 III. You should be able to pick up one in good condition for around $80.00. It has a fixed 40mm f/1.7 lens - but the lens is in fact excellent. The rangefinder works well - is easily adjusted, and has parallax correction.
    In my opinion, it's great camera for getting the hang of a rangefinder and seeing of you like rangefinders.

Dan

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not know whether or not you use a polorizing filter on your SLR, using one on a RF or TLR camera is difficult at best.

Steve

4. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no problems using plarizers or ND grads with good or intended results on RF's. It does require that you both look and think opposed to mostly look. Polarizers are easier than grads, but both are pretty simple.

5. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, I suggest hiring/renting what you're considering buying for a few days and give it a good workout with several rolls to see if you can "work together". :smile: Is there anyone closer even with just any type of rangefinder to see if this switch suits you?

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob that is quite a leap. I'd say keep 'em both, at least for a while. They have entirely different capabilities.

If expense is an issue then you might consider starting with a bessa.

I hope that you are considering the many MF RF options...

7. PhotoBob

PhotoBob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks a bunch
    Yeah, haven't decided to dump 645, just thinking...
    The 7II seems like a nice system as well ... more to think about.