Aero Ektar 178mm on an 8x10?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jaems, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jaems

Jaems Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've come into possession of a *cherry* Aero Ektar 178mm f2.5. I've been able to use it on my Eastman 2D 8x10, but only on long exposures.

I'm guessing that a Packard shutter can be implemented somehow for better exposure control. I've also read about placing an Ilex #5 between the two lens elements, but it doesn't look like the elements will come apart easily, and, like I said, the lens is cherry - fungus and scratch free, with a real smoooth f-stop adjustment.

Any advice (preferable with pics) will be appreciated!

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea if you can get your lens in or around it (and I suspect you can't if it normally goes into an Ilex #5), but ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-SHUTTER-DEARDORFF-CAMERA-BRASS-LENS-FORMAT-/280660888016?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4158b149d0 .... at $49 is a remounted electric Prontor still on the books at $571 ...https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1434&IID=6321

I've bought two of them from the man - for engineering use - and they are in new condition and work just great. I've noticed the price keeps creeping up, but they are still a bargain.

Note that the shutter is very thin - the solenoid can be remounted out of the way - and unless you are shooting wide-open the reduced shutter opening isn't as much of a problem as it might appear at first blush.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the price of a Packard and mounting/machinging fees, you might be just as well off with a Speed Graphic body for it.

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The luxury option is a SINAR DB shutter. They are expensive, though, and they do have their limits as to what lenses will work with them. How big is the rear element of your lens?

A Packard shutter would work well too, if you can manage to do what you need to do with a single instantaneous shutter speed or two.

There was some discussion the other day about converting a Speed Graphic into an accessory shutter for a view camera. But I think it would be rather awkward and unstable if doing it on the front instead of the back.

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But if you want it for 8x10 ... anyone make an 8x10 -> graflok adapter?

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you might have to front-mount something ...
    contact sk grimes, they might have a mounting solution for you
    they specialize in custom mounting lenses to shutters
    and machining custom adapters.
    zacks camera repair also has a lathe and makes parts, and does great repair work,
    but i am not sure if he does this sort of work too, it might be worth an email ...