AF Nikkor 28/2.8D question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Murray@uptowngallery, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Question(s):

I was given an AF Nikkor 28 mm f/2.8 D lens.

An employee loaned her camera to her son for a class at school & he unfortunately for someone came home with an extra lens. It didn't fit her old Nikon F or whatever old cameras it was.

Visually the glass is great, but I am trying to determine if it was mishandled because it has what I consider an odd characteristic.

If the lens is tilted back & forth 180 degrees while holding the outer barrel only, a little 'play' is apparent (a VERY slight thunk, can feel more than hear)). Gripping the inner portion (part that extends in/out with focus ring and where push-on front lens cap would mount) and outer barrel and the movement is gone.

My guess is, it either has a problem or it's different than non-AF manual lenses because it's motorized.

If someone has one of these can you please tell me if this is a normal or abnormal observation, and what camera bodies it fits (maybe I can find someone to test it locally).

Since I have no Nikon, I would either sell it or if it's defective, hack it onto some other camera body for an experiment, or take it apart (a habit I have).

Thank you

Murray

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
  2. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AF lenses have more play and a lighter/looser focus action than MF lenses so that is normal. Nikor AF lenses will fit all nikons made for Ai and newer, but not the old F ( I think, IIRC )
    Kind regards
    Søren

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
  3. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thanks Soeren.

Murray

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should fit any Nikon made, It won't meter with the older bodies 'cus it has no prong ie:it's prongless, much like a dead parrot.

Don't relly know why that slipped in, just seemed appropriate.

5. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bingo!

The Nikon F-mount is unchanged for the last 50 years!

You can use this lens on a Nikon F if you so desire. If stop-down metering doesn't work then either use an external meter or the Sunny/16 rule.

The great thing about the F-mount lens system is that they can be used on any Nikon SLR and DSLR in some fashion or other. :wink:

6. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thanks all.

John, off the wall comments couldn't be directed to a more appropriate person :O).

George, I seem to remember her having something with a name related to Nikon, like Nikkormat?

I don't know if she tried fitting and concluded it wouldn't or was told it wouldn't 'work'.

Anyway, time to decide what to do with it.

Thanks

7. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Non-Ai Nikon cameras ( the F, F2, and most Nikkormats except for the Ft8 and the EL2) need the prong on the lenses aperture ring to couple with the meter. In the past, you could have Nikon put the prong on a prongless lens for about $30.00 - you may still find someone to do this for you. If you're interested, you might want to post a question over at www.nikonians.org

Dan

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Back in the day, Nikon was uncertain how to respond to market demand for a cheaper version of the "F".

Finally they decided to come out with the Nikkormat FTN (which itself was a bit of a confusion as there was a version of the F known as the FTn! - sometimes upper and lower case letters have meanings).

Anyway, the Nikkormat FTN was a more basic SLR but uses the F-mount. After the FTN, there were several other Nikkormats including the FT2 (my first SLR), FT3 and an EL series.

Ultimately, Nikon dropped the Nikkormat nomenclature for "second tier" models.

But just like "real" Nikons, the Nikkormats all use the F-mount.

Oh, and the "mat" in the Nikkormat nomenclature indicates they all have built-in metering systems.

9. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thank you.

10. mawz

mawz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stop-down metering with AF lenses works just fine on Nikkormats, I do it regularly on my FTn with a 20/2.8 AF that's prongless.

11. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Except for the FS!:smile:

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aha! That's the one I couldn't remember. But wasn't it a NikkOmat rather than a NikkORmat?

I remember there was one weird, cheapo and unreliable pseudo-model made by a company in HK under a short-lived license from Nikon. A marketing mistake that Nikon quickly and quietly "forgot" about... :wink:

13. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, Nikomat and Nikkormat are the same cameras. Nikomat is the name used in Japan. However, it sounded like Ikomat which was a trade name of Zeiss Ikon, so in some foreign markets, Nikomats were renamed Nikkormats to avoid problems with trademark infringement.

Here's a reference:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/index.htm

14. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a some exceptions to the "one size fits all" Nikon mount. True enough, the mounts have not changed over the years and any SLR lens made today will fit on any Nikon SLR ever made. If the only problem is that there is no metering prong, stop down metering can be used. A bit of an inconvenience, but it works well.

There are a couple of lenses, I think they're called "G" lenses, that have no aperture ring. F/stop settings are made by electro-mechanical means via the camera body. Obviously, these are pretty much useless if mounted onto an older camera body without the electrical contacts for the aperture.

15. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Also, it can be dangerous to mount a pre-Ai lens on an Ai body. Ai lenses have a notch cut out in the aperture ring that mates with a small tab on the edge of the mount. A pre-Ai lens doesn't have this notch - as a result, the aperture ring will collide with this tab and either damage the lens or the camera. The higher end Ai bodies - like the F3 allow you to move the tab out of the way so you can use a Pre-Ai lens in stop-down mode. However, the tab is fixed on the less expensive models - like the Nikkormats.
    Interestingly, the consumer AF bodies that won't meter with non-CPU lenses don't have this tab because they get all the information from the CPU. As a result, you can mount Pre-Ai lenses on these bodies.

16. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. mawz

mawz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually, both of the AI Nikkormats have the flip-up tab, as do the FE and FM which replaced the AI Nikkormats. The first AI body without the tab was the budget EM, and the only post-1970's bodies to feature the flip-up AI tab were the F3 and F4, although you could get a factory mod for the F5 to add this capability. It's mostly irrelevant as getting a pre-AI lens AI modified is relatively cheap and easy (Used to be easier when factory AI rings were still available).

Oddly, the current cheapo digi models (D40/D40X) are the first non-pro models introduced with the ability to mount unmodified pre-AI lenses since the FE/FM of 1978. They changed the minimum aperture detection switch used on bodies which lack the AI tab from a slide switch to a pushbutton switch, which won't be damaged by pre-AI lenses.

18. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, if you read this site:
    http://www.aiconversions.com/

he claims that you still can't put an unmodified Pre-Ai lens on these bodies.

19. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Copake ham has it nearly all right. The first "low end" Nikon mount camera sold by Nikon in the USA was the Nikkorex F. IIRC, it was made by Richo for Nikon. It was not highly regarded. The Nikkormat (Nikkomat outside the USA) came after the much despised Nikkorex. I believe Nikon also used the Nikkorex appellation for a fixed mount Nikon with the earliest 43-86 zoom lens permanently stuck on it. IIRC.

20. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for clarifying.

BTW: occassionally you see a Nikkorex pop up on eBay - probably a "must have" for the uber-collector.

21. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikkorex, non-interchangeable lens.
    Nikkorex F, body made by Mamiya

22. mawz

mawz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  23. mawz

mawz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Nikkorex F was a Mamiya product, but the design and jigs got sold to Ricoh and it was later produced as the Singlex under the Ricoh and Sears brands.

24. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahh - you're right - I was looking at the D80, D50, etc.

25. Richard Kelham

Richard Kelham Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Indeed and I still have mine. It still works, and it still makes a noise like a steam hammer. It came with quite a nice f1.4 lens which had the bayonet flanges slightly tweaked so that it could not be used on Nikon bodies (though most Nikon lenses could be used on the Singlex body). Obviously the designers had never heard of metal files as it was a simple enough job to file down the offending flange. That was in about 1966 and it was my first "serious" camera. I've been using (real) Nikons ever since.

Richard