Affect of temperature on fixer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bobwysiwyg, Jan 15, 2013.

1. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using fixer time (fresh fixer by the way) as documented by Kodak. I wondered though, does temperature alter its ability to clear based on temp similar to the affect temperature has on developer?

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would thing that as the temperature of fixer drops from 68°F [20°C] that the reaction time increases, but not a great deal. I would think that even with the solution ionization lowering the freezing point, that at 23°F [-5°C] that the reaction time would be much s-l-o-w-e-r.

3. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixing is a mainly diffusion controlled reaction so temperature should not have that great an effect on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  4. georgegrosu

georgegrosu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe diffusion have an important role in photographic processes.
    Fixer is a total reaction and temperature and time are not critical.
    Fixer time is made during the clarification of the film plus
    time required for chemical products formed to diffusion the film in fixer ( x 2 time of clarification).
    It is best to follow the prescribed temperature.
    From a practical standpoint, plus or minuc few degrees C for fixer is not a catastrophe.
    A better agitation of solution fixer can compensate for the absence of several degrees.

George

5. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, if one were to do a bleach bypass on some E6, they would not heat the regular fix?

8. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there is a well-known ilford chart showing the dev time change according to temperature, but it does not follow the arrhenius equation;does anybody have an idea why?btw the ilford chart works very well in my experience.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Aristotle80

Aristotle80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an important warning about Kodak's liquid fixer concentrate and cold temperatures. For a time I had my photo chem in a backyard shed with no climate control. It dipped into the 40s for around two weeks. The next time I checked the chem the fixer was destroyed. (The developers were all fine.) A thick sludge precipitated out of solution and it looked so funky I wasn't confident about using it again. I tried stirring up the sediment but it didn't remix. The concentrated fixer was unmixed and uncontaminated since I don't dilute it for use all at once.

So while temp doesn't drastically affect fixing times, be careful about cold storage conditions.

(I'm not a chemist and I don't even play one on the internet. I've done BW constantly since the 90s and I'm generally pretty careful with my process. It's the only time something like that has ever gone horribly wrong for me.)

11. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Diffusion controlled reactions can be very complex. One must take into consideration among other things the shape of the ions or molecules, their electric charge, the composition of the substrate, etc. A molecule containing a bulky structure such a tertiary butyl group will diffuse slower than one containg a methyl group