After all my mishapps I got my first roll developed...this is what came out

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Anayari, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks so much to everyone who lent me a hand with all my n00b questions and freak outs XD I'm sure there will be many more along the way especially now that I'm hooked and want to set up my own darkroom so anyways I got my first film developed tonight at walgreens and these are my favorite two shots. I'm just happy that they weren't blank (like the first film where I didn't actually load it right and never took one pic XD) and that some of my dslr knowledge seems to have translated into these because I felt totally lost but I will not give up! Here they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71093771@N06/6457264981/in/photostream/

edited with a b/w action:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71093771@N06/6457279803/in/photostream/

and here's probably my fave:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71093771@N06/6457266435/in/photostream/

Any comments, critiques, advice would be really great :smile: Also if you have a Flickr please addd me I'd love to share our pictures :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  2. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Congrats, you are doing great! Keep it up!

3. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nice! Your going to do fine. You know, you can start shooting B&W and developing it yourself without a darkroom. Oh, the rabbit hole, how far down does it go?...

4. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The portrait is really nice. :smile:

5. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks so much everyone! Jbrunner I want to know more about self developing I will pm you right now! For me the rabbit hole is starting to look endless the more I see the more I do the more I want to try out...

6. lesm

lesm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice going, mate. You're on your way! It only gets better from here.

7. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thank you all so much :smile: I have to say I am HOOKED and already have a second roll this one is b/w and I'm dying to see it already XD I need to slow down...two cameras in I don't even know how little time too ^^; I'm doomed!

8. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great picture of your girl!

9. ColRay

ColRay Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    T+he results are great .. well done!

10. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good on ya, great portrait. I knew you could do it. Jbrunner has some excellent videos on YouTube that will get you started with developing your own film, check em out.

11. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice indeed.

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great pictures!

Jeff

13. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you have your black and white processing lined up? It's harder to find than color. There are places who do it but you may well have to send it out mail order depending on where you are. It costs more than color usually too. You'll definitely want to set up for doing your own black and white.

Echoing the other thoughts, you're doing great, keep it up!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congratulations, Anayari! Gorgeous pics :smile:

I have to agree with those suggesting you develop your own black and white. Now that is addictive :smile:
    Have fun!

16. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks much you guys :smile: I have other pics I liked but not as much as these I switched lens halfway through my roll to a 30-120mm I htink it was and I'm not used to working that lens and the results weren't that good. I have 2 other lens that came with the AE-1 I got one is a 80-200 zoom I think and the other seems to have a macro that one I'll have to try out. The thing is that I'm not very good with lens that don't have a big aperture so I really want some faster lenses for this body any recommendations on that? I will definetly try out my own b/w but I need to get some regular b/w film yet as the one I got was this crappy process anywhere kind from kodak from the drugstore that's all they had. I am going to see if I can get the chemicals and canisters and such to try it out any recommendations as to where to buy these for a cheap price? I wonder if they will deliver to puerto rico too ^^;

17. LarryP

LarryP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    love the portrait of your daughter. At least 2 of apug sponsors have good prices on chemicals and film precision camera and freestyle. they should ship to puerto rico . Not sure how much it would cost though. If shipping is way high you may want to see if there are any camera / photography clubs near you that do group buys to save on shipping

18. NiftyFifty

NiftyFifty Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Awesome job! I just got my first test roll of film shot in my AE-1 (non Program) developed a couple of days ago. I didn't try to do anything like you did. I took snaps of streets, street signs and other "throw away" shots because my goal was to see if the camera was in good shape and detect light leaks. All my prints came out fine, so NOW I can do like you and actually take some REAL pictures. I'm so excited that if I were a dog my tail would be thumping non-stop! :D

19. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks so much niftyfifty! I didn't like a lot of my pictured from this roll I thought a lot of them were underexposed but I'm still getting the hang of this whole thing and feel a bit intimidated by it XD Even though I shoot manual on my dslr I just don't know if what I was doing there is the same that I am goind here and this is a lot less handheld than digital. I think I have the aperture/speed thing down but since I taught myself by reading and practicing I don't have a lot of technical knowledge and don't feel very confident in what I'm doing XD I can't wait to see your next film please share with us and I already have a b/w one to develop but need to wait a bit because I want to take a few at once hehe!

20. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If that's Kodak BW400CN it's FAR from "crappy." It's actually excellent film and some years ago I shot a lot of the Ilford competitor, XP2, even though I could do conventional black and white. It's really a color film with only one dye layer, a black dye, so it can be developed in color negative chemicals. You may get "crappy" results though because it's likely to be printed on a machine intended for color printing and the prints will likely have a color cast. If the operator carefully adjusts this it can actually look nice, but don't count on that.

The good news is once you start printing your own black and white, you can make really good conventional prints from those negatives.

21. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, guys;

It is not yet clear who really set the hook, but it is becoming obvious that she has been successfully converted. We know that she is happy with her first roll, and she has just one film body, but it does have other lenses. It will be interesting to see what a year can bring. Has anyone asked Suzanne Revy to talk with her also?

Remember now, no one says anything to her about GAS.

22. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually Ralph ^^; So embarrassed but um I have already sort of stumped upon *ahem* another little slr which my grabby hands couldn't say no to *sweat* see when I told my borhter and his wife I wanted to shoot filM she said she had *an old slr* somewhere in her house...so I couldn't resist going to her house to see what this tempting thing was doing hiding away in her closet and so she sold it to me for $25 dollars and now I also have a Asashi Pentax X-1000 too but the 2 lenses were done for full of fungi and I am clueless as if they can be cleaned I don't know how to take them apart so I'm on the look out for a lens for it maybe a 50mm prime which is what I am used to shooting with and could be potentially cheap? I need a lens to test it. The body seems kind of beat up and I don't see that foam part on the inside where the mirror is is that a problem. I didn't even want to bring this new cam up because I've laready asked so much about the AE-1 and I seem to already have a serious GAS problem XD

23. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh and roger sorry for calling the film crappy XD I think that's the one please excuse my total lack of knowledge here I just heard it wasnt real b/w thanks so much for letting me know that it's good then I'm excited to develop that roll :D

24. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak BW400CN is Incredible stuff, don't let anyone say it's not. The latitude and smooth grain structure is beautiful. By far my favorite B&W film to shoot with when it's anything I want to be high contrast or pushed really far.

The color picture of the girl looks GREAT. The color is really actually quite wonderful. Where did you get it processed?

25. Anayari

Anayari Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    f 1.4 I got it processed at walgreens but I also did some PP on photoshop to up the colors :smile: but the acutal colors are pretty good but the prints left so much to be desired :sad: I really need to start making my own I'm just intimmidated by the whole drak room enlarger bit and how little space I have here...

26. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You really do need to update your info to include where you are located, there may be a member close by that could assist you in your endeavors.