Agfa 12 ST-2 Orwo 12 modern equivalent developer

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Auroraua, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Auroraua

Auroraua Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anyone know which developer would be the modern version of this?
    Agfa 12
    St-2
    Orwo 12

http://photoformulary.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/st2-orwo-12-agfa-12-a12-ansco-12/

Something like D-76?

I have
    Rodinal
    HC-110
    and Rodinal special
    but I guess none of them is similar.

Basically I have some old Svema FN64, Orwo NP15, Tasma films and would like to use a similar developer that was in use, but without mixing chemicals. I just don´t have the possibility to do that at least for now and to order chemicals to Iceland is complex.
    One day though I will mix my own.

I know lot of people develop it in Rodinal 1+25 for 6-7 minute.
    But would like options and if possible to buy a ready mixed similar chemical.

2. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This formula looks a bit like D-23 plus Sodium Carbonate and Potassium Bromide, very unusual by today's standards, and I don't think you will get anything like it prepackaged. Note, that Rodinal and D-76 were older than this Agfa 12.

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want the look - take appropriate old lens a well. I did used Rodinal with old Svema, but with modern nikkor lenses. Results were just fine, but no "older" look than for example efke (adox) films.

4. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    darkosaric has a very good point. For that old look, which I prefer myself by the way, you need old glass.

This example probably isn't what you're looking for, but it's sorta interesting. When I first started developing I was getting all sorts of odd looks. Now, unfortunately, I know what I'm doing and cannot replicate those earlier "mistakes". It's a pity, as some of the earlier stuff had an old look to it that I liked a lot.

small cropped zeiss bad dev 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  5. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi momus,

if you want mistake and old look that you will not be able to repeat (again) - take some old expired B&W film from ebay, some old box camera and develop semi-stand in Rodinal 1+100 for one hour :wink:.

Joke on the side - what method did you used before (lens, film, developer...)? Maybe we can help :smile:?

6. Auroraua

Auroraua Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format