Agfa-Ansco 8x10

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Tom Nutter, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a model made up until the early part of WWII (US entry) after that the models changed, they were made in a different factory with new hardware. Bingham's camer production facilities was making turned over entirely to war production of optical instruments.

It's a Universal View made from around 1935 to 1941/2, and it's the more desirable version with front tilt which is very useful with a 10x8 camera. Without a case or lens it cost $73 in 1941The Deluxe Universal View was Grey finish with nickel hardware nowhere near as nice looking :D

It's not the top model that was the Commercial View which takes an extension rail and extends to 36½" compared to the shorter bellows of the Universal View which extend to 26½". I have both models although my Universal View has no front tilt.

These Agfa Ansco's were regarded as the best 10x8 LF cameras available before WWII, the company Scoville, later Antony & Scoville goes back to the early days of US camera manufacture. Owners included Ansel Adams, Brett Weston etc and I know Steve Anchell swears by his :smile:

My own Commercial View came from Portland, Maine and the original owner was a student & later lecturer at the Clarence White School of Photography, he'd bought the best available US made camera & lens of the time, so the Agfa Ansco and a 12" Goerz Am Opt. Dagor, which was later factory coated after WWII.

So you've got yourself a great camera, lots of Pedigree and very usable, the lens is post WWII but a very suitable match for the camera and should be sharp and contrasty.

Ian

3. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the info, and thanks for the catalog. Wasn't sure of the exact model, but you've confirmed my thoughts about the vintage.

4. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ian, was there a Universal with front tilt?
    I just bought one with front tilt and a front extension but the bellows only reach 27".
    I'm wondering if it's a Commercial with bellows from a Universal?
    It also came with a 5"x7" back and a brass lens with no name, that'll be the next piece for me to ID!