Agfa Ansco Viking 7.7

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Nathan Riehl, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A while back, I acquired this 6x9 folder and have yet to use it. I'm tempted to buy a roll of 120 on a 620 spool to shoot with and to reuse the spool since I already have plenty of 120 film and another 620 spool. I'd like to know what kind of photos this takes though before I go ahead and do that, but I haven't been able to find any photos taken with this model of camera. Can anyone help me out?

Here it is in all it's glory. Or lack-there-of, depending on how the photos turn out.

il_570xN.448477475_1z42.jpg

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe this takes 120 film - not 620.

As I understand it, PB20 was Ansco's designation for 120.

3. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I read the page on "Camera-Wiki" and it says the same thing, but when you look at PB20 on the same website or on any other page, it says it's 620 film. All evidence aside, I have tried putting some Kodak TMAX-100 120 film in there and it didn't fit. Too big.

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Man, that thing looks like a real sweetie pie. Get out there and shoot that beauty.

5. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's in scary good condition too. The only blemish on the thing whatsoever is a barely noticeable rust mark under where the viewfinder sits. There was no dust outside or inside the camera, all the chrome is shiny, all the leather looks as new as the day as the camera was made, and the glass looks to be completely clear all the way though. No scratches, no nothing.

Edit: Under closer inspection, it turns out the rust mark was just a spot of dirt which quickly came off. Looks like it came right out of production.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a similar camera - an Ansco Viking 6.3 - which does take 120 film.

Mine too is in apparently beautiful condition, except it needs to be serviced, because the lubricant in it has dried up.

So I cannot show you any photos.

Attached Files:

7. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I miss those red boxes of film next to the yellow ones at the drug store, where the flashbulbs,pipes, tobacco, and candy were at the big front counter. All those neat cameras like that in the glass case register counter. Nowadays the drugstores don't have doodly squat.

8. 2bits

2bits Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice! I recently acquired a nice working Universal Roamer 2 that shoots 120 or 620. In 6X9.
    The results are excellent photo's. I think you will have fun w/ it!
    july 010.jpg
    It is 100mm f4.5, top speed 200. I think they are a real sleeper. Bellows are very good and it's a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  9. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you want to know what kind of photos it will take?

If you are a lousy photographer it will take lousy pictures. If you are a good photographer it will take good photos. Other than that, there's no way to know until you go shoot. Any quirks due to its lens being old are minor to insignificant when compared to your ability (or lack thereof) to judge light, composition and exposure.

So go take pictures and have fun. I bet you anything the camera will do a terrific job.

10. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Viking is also a 6.3 that takes 120. It's a decent basic folder with a triplet lens, and it seems to keep the dark in effectively (unlike many Agfa folders---I think the Vikings might have had more robust bellows material than some other models).

The lens on the 6.3 models seems always to be labelled "Agnar Anastigmat", on the 7.7 models just "Anastigmat". I don't know if that's an actual difference in the lens design or just a change of labelling, but as far as I can tell, the 6.3 models are German-made (Agfa) and the 7.7 models US-made (Ansco).

-NT

11. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's interesting, ntenny. Thanks for your input. As for shooting with it, I think I might postpone because I may come into a Bronica pretty soon that will take up a lot of my time.

12. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have picked up two or three of the 6.3 as well as the 7.7 models. They seem to be pretty basic cameras, but it does appear that time has been kind to mine. They all work (one needed some shutter exercise to exorcise the sticky shutter syndrome) though all of them would certainly benefit from a good lens cleaning. The bellows, camera condition and chrome all see great.

I have shot Arista EDU 400 film in the 120 versions and the results are relatively low contrast, but I don't think that is a surprise considering they are all pre-war cameras. I think they are probably pretty capable cameras if you learn and work within their limitations. At some point I want to take one out and really spend some time with it to learn the ins and outs of working with one of these old folders, but that will have to wait awhile