Agfa APX 100

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by White Rose, Aug 25, 2011.

1. White Rose

White Rose Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm currently using mostly Acros as a low cost film to learn about home processing and printing. I'm very happy with it and there seems to be plenty of info out there about people's experiences using it. However, whilst buying some stuff from AG Photographic I noticed that they're selling Agfa APX 100 even cheaper, particularly if you buy a pack of 10 rolls. I'm interested but can't seem to find much info about it relating to people's experiences using it. If anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with this film I'd really like to hear it.

Thanks in advance

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, welcome to the Forum.

If you use the Search function on the Forum, you should find lots of threads, opinions and advice for using APX 100.

I, personally, liked the original APX100 (as produced by Agfa prior to the original company's closure), but I'm not sure whether the current version is exactly the same.

3. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too love/loved the original APX100 from Agfa. I still have 4 tins of it in my freezer, along with 20 odd individual rolls. Have yet to test this version, but I'm sure someone here will have and will be able to give you some feedback.

From memory, this may be the "original" stuff, but can't be sure.

4. Juri

Juri Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've used several rolls of the presumably new APX100. Although I don't have much experience with different films, I really like the sharpness and contrast of the Agfa.

Here are some examples of APX100 developed mostly in Fomadon R09.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/48170866@N05/tags/agfaapx100/

5. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Doubt if you will find a better quality film anywhere. Last year I bought a 100 ft roll for USD 20 and I was really satisfied with 'Pan F results with ISO 100 speed'. Need I say more? - David Lyga

7. stark_674

stark_674 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I did use Agfa APX100 too developing in Rodinal. Results are good, maybe watching the datasheet curves you can observe how it's possible to obtain a more large variations of black using Ilford HP for example. High lights are good in twice, maybe HP5 have better results on dark.
    Do I wrong or Rollei RPX now is the same formula of APX ?
    Bye

8. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RPX is a "new" emulsion from Rollei via Harman. It's related to Kentmere. The original APX 100 from Agfa (Photo) last manufacturing was end 2005. Rollei sold a very big stock during the years under Rollei Retro 100 which was 1:1 APX 100. Due to the fact the lines in Leverkusen (Germany) were closed it's impossible to get back exactly the old emulsion anymore.

If you compare RPX 100 to APX 100 / Retro 100 there is a pretty big difference. About the same comparing FP4+ to APX 100. If you want an actual production film pretty close to APX 100 you should try Fomapan 100. This film reacts about the same on Rodinal 1+50 too. But of course this Czech production is also not exactly the same as the stuff from Leverkusen.

9. theoria

theoria Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it just me or is APX 100 (at least the new formula) less sensitive to yellow, red and orange, making people's faces look darker?

10. Jojje

Jojje Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    APX 100 was my favorite medium speed film. I'm glad to see it's back on the market, however, I don't see any for sale here in the US. I'm sure Freestyle will stock it soon (I hope). I also see it wasn't listed in 120 size at AG Photographic. I also hope it will be soon.

12. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used some hundred rolls of APX 100 and have some hundred stored. The film is from the last production in 2005, which was a huge one. All remaining material at Agfa photo were utilized for APX 100. The master rolls were kept cool by the vendors. But I believe that we see the very last rolls in stores.
    For my impression, APX 100 is the best B/W film overall. It works fine with Rodinal.
    There are no differen versions of APX 100, beside some 120 films which were cut from the thicker 35mm material. 120 is not available anymore, even with the thicker base.

13. White Rose

White Rose Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all of the responses. Base on the mostly positive experiences here I've decided the buy a pack on 10 rolls and give it a try.

Cheers

14. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You *won't* be disappointed! This just says it all: