Agfa APX 400 available....

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by copake_ham, Mar 5, 2007.

1. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or else one can buy Rollei Retro 400. Just look for a distributor on Maco's webpage.

3. 25asa

25asa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DAMN!
    Maybe I should list all the 60 rolls of 120 APX 400 in my fridge for $3.70 a roll!!
    I can turn around an buy from B&H fresh TMAX 400 for $3.19
    or Fuji Neopan 400 for $2.74
    or Ilford Delta 400 for 2.99!

DOH!!!!

_..
    .._
    _ _
    _...

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll just buy it from B&H for $2.99 a roll. Yes it's still in stock there.

5. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    You know, location and convenience are funny things.

For example, if I want to schlep over to B&H (and deal with the crappy shopping experience you encounter there) I would have to pay $4.00 r/t on the subway, walk a few blocks and then pay 8-1/4% sales tax.

Then again, I could do as you do, and order it from them on-line. Excpet, unlike you, I'd have to pay the NY sales tax and also shipping at around what $12.00 or so?

Moral of this tale, don't confuse location with convenience or cost.

As for the other posts - I only said it was a "good" price and a FYI - what's the beef? :confused:

6. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much is Rollei Retro in the US? I think it costs somewhere near $6.50 per roll.I don't like the idea of paying that much money for re-branded AGFA, which Maco probably bought at fire-sale prices and then marked way up, when there are still so many excellent films still available for much less. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike Sullivan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  7. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure, but it's somehow higher than the original APX prices because the latter were dumping-like.

8. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a LOT higher than the original AGFA prices, and current Kodak and Ilford and Fuji, not to mention EFKE and Foma.:rolleyes: With that in mind, I can not justify spending the extra money just because it carries the name Rollei.

Mike Sullivan

9. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Folks,

By starting this thread I was only trying to pass some info along.

For me, I've never tried Agfa APX 400 (in fact, I'm new to MF and so unfamilar with film types and prices etc.) and thought this seemed a fair price for my circumstances (as described above).

Sorry if folks got all in a dither.

To be honest, a quarter, half a buck or even a dollar per roll is not that important to me. I spend all day at work and savor my weekends when I don't have to go looking for film etc. I just have it there to shoot.

So, if I have to pay a few bucks more to get the stuff delivered hassle free to my door - I think that's great.

Life is too short now to have to worry about getting the "cheapest" price....

10. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's kind of ironic that local NY customers have to pay more for the convenience of buying products locally than we do from the same vendors mail order, due to sales tax and public transportation fees to get to the store.

11. Cor

Cor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW:

I tried my best to get APX400 120 format working for me, but it never realy worked out: somehow the film was "unsharp" (if you can say that of a film).

In my hands it was realy a 200 asa film, and only with Rodinal I obtained acceptable sharpness at the expense of extra grain (I tested the film with differnt camera's and lenses, on a tripod etc..)

Anyway YMMV,

best,

Cor

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    PHOTOTONE,

Actually, it's less the cost then the "hassle" when you work in another part of town from the store. And since I spend weekends outside the City - which is somewhat immaterial since B&H is closed on Saturdays - mail order becomes a very attractive option.

Besides, as I said, B&H is NOT a pleasant shopping experience. The multi-stage entry and exit system is worse than visiting a jail. Add to that the clanging overhead basket-delivery system, the noise, the confusion etc. and it's a royal PIA if all you want to buy is a few rolls of film!

Folks who visit the City enjoy going to B&H because it is unique and they have good prices. But I guess familiarity breeds contempt - I'd much rather let my mouse do the shopping nowadays than put up with an actual visit to B&H (or Adorama for that matter).

13. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Copake. I've found APX 400 to be good, GP film. It's the Agfa film I'll miss the least, tho'. Never had a problem with sharpness.

14. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me neither, but then I've always used brews like PMK and dilute Perceptol which always give good sharpness. Once my last 100 rolls are used up then it's HP5 + for me, which has the further advantage of being available in sheet sizes. The old AP 400 5x4 film got me hooked on pyro just over 10 years ago......I printed that first neg on Record Rapid and it looks great. Ah well, time to go and stock up on Fortezo:sad:

15. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rollei Retro 100 and Retro 400 are made of the last production run 2005 and made of the 35mm raw material production.
    It's original Agfa APX100/400 (new) and available in 120 roll film format.

best regards,

Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Once again, Mr. Schmalfuss, could you please state whether you have any financial relationship or interest in Maco products? If you do, and if you want to make commercial announcements, or if you are simply a charitable vehicle for Maco's commercial announcements, then you or a representative of Maco should contact Sean about becoming an APUG sponsor, so that you can post these announcements in the Sponsors' forum.