Agfa APX 400

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by DEarle, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DEarle

DEarle Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just found five rolls of unexposed Agfa APX400 that was in the back of a closet in my house. It has a process by date of July, 2008 on it.

Any thoughts as to whether it would be good still?

I really liked that film and haven't found a replacement that I like, so any suggestions along those lines would be appreciated as well.

Doug Earle

2. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it should still be just fine. Four years is nothing.

3. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just shot through some APX 100/400 that was almost a decade old. Looked great.

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I have discovered about APX 400 is that it accumulates base fog really fast past expiration, especially if it hasn't been cold stored. But if you have a strong enlarger light source you'll print right through it, so not much to worry about there.

Just put a roll through to see where you're at exposure wise, and use the other four if your find no major issues.

5. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That is my experience too with every 400 film I've used. You will also probably see a bit of increase in grain. Still it should not show any major issues if stored reasonably well.

6. DEarle

DEarle Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This has been in a closet at room temp. Main thing we worry about in South Texas is heat, but this has been air conditioned the entire time.

I'll give it a try and let you all know how it delivers.

Doug

7. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i shot some tri-x a while ago that expire in 1978 and it printed fine. some fog, nothing bad, like a neutral density filter.

so this agfa should be fine. you got nothing to lose.

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done this also, and the 8x10s looked good, although a bit grainy and higher base fog. When I printed those negatives larger, however, the extra grain and film base fog was much more of a problem to overcome, and it was difficult at best to get a fine print.
    I guess it depends on what your prerogatives are. If you're looking to use the film for exhibition grade prints, then it's best to test it first. If it's more casual shooting for pleasure only, then it may not matter as much, and the element of surprise that comes with older film may even be welcome in the 'fun factor'.