Agfa APX & Pyrocat - a No-No?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have heard on more than one occasion that Agfa APX films and Pyrocat (or PMK, ABC, W2D2, Precysol, whatever pyro there is) is a no-no.
    The other day I developed a couple of rolls of APX 100 and in the past I've developed some APX 400 in Pyrocat-MC and Pyrocat-HD successfully. Nice stain, fantastic grain, and sharp like crazy.

Is there any substance to the claim of those films not suiting pyro developers? If yes, why?

Print from negs attached to view that results indeed are normal.

Thanks for your insight,

- Thomas

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  2. toadhall

toadhall Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Prescycol EF with APX 100 regularly and find the combo works well.

3. gainer

gainer Subscriber

What was the reason given, if any? Pyrocat MC stain is a bit hard to see on films that have very low base fog, but it's there. If there's any doubt, you can check by making a print on grade 2 paper and another on VC paper with no printing filtration. Based on what I see, you certainly did no harm by using the combination.

4. EmilGil

EmilGil Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thomas, I also heard recommendations not to go for pyro with APX but I can't find it now. I have avoided this combination due to these recommendations even if I have been very tempted to try my bottles of PMK.

What EI did you shoot at? Dev. time and dilution?

5. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love APX 100 in Pyrocat HD. Lovely stain, great midtones and highlights that in check. I go 2+2+100 for 13 min. 21C.

In fact I'm going out today to shoot a brook in the Adirondacks with that very combo! It's cold, but if you don't wear much, you'll soon not feel it! :smile:

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad I'm not the only one doubting this advice!
    Emil - I shoot Agfa at an EI of 100, I develop using a semi stand technique, or minimal agitation (agitate full first minute, then once ever three minutes; two inversions) for 16 minutes at 70*F at the 1+1+100 dilution. In fact it works so well I wish I had more, but I'm also very satisfied with my results with Tri-X and FP4, so I won't be lamenting the demise of APX 100 or 400 any time soon.
    - Thomas

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've developed APX 100 in just about every possible developer including several staining ones, and the only combination I don't like is - with rodinal...

8. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Barbarian! :tongue:

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APX 100 in PMK is beautiful. Gorgeous. I can't speak about Pyrocat-HD and this film.

APX 25 doesn't stain much in PMK. I only tried it once.

Pan-F Plus supposedly doesn't stain much in PMK either, and it does have less stain than other films, but I sure like how the negatives print. I have adopted PMK as my standard developer for this film. (I seem to have acquired 200' of the recently-expired stuff from Freestyle... oops. :smile: )

10. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I do APX-100 in WD2D Pyro, but I extend the developing time a bit from the published time. I am very pleased with the results.