Agfa E-6 kit times

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Amund, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I`m about to develop a few sheets of slides, and reading the instructions , it says, "first developer 5-7 minutes", and 4-5 minutes for the color developer.
    Is it only the revesal bath times that are imortant to be dead on?

2. darr

darr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amund, you need to be pretty exact with time and temp with E-6. I use Tetenal and they say the First Developer is the most important. But all the steps are when it gets right down to it!

3. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Yes, I know... Have used Tetenal kits before, so the Agfa instructions are confusing. I think I will use the regular 6.30min for the first developer.

4. Eirik Berger

Eirik Berger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    6:30 is the suggested time for the first developer, but after reading about E6 developing at the Jobo-website I understand that a 16% extra development in the first developer is required for all Fuji films (except Astia). I use only Fuji films so I am still a bit confused. I have tried 7:30 in 1st dev on a few rolls of Provia 100F and the results look OK to me. Have anyone any opinions on this?

5. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've never used the Agfa chemistry but I do use the Kodak and Tetnal and my guess is that the time spread in the developers is tied in totemperature and if you look closely you will see thta they give you a bit of band of temperature for processing. Time, as everyone has said is critical for E6 processing but temperatue is also critical and the two work hand-in-hand.

6. Rolfe Tessem

Rolfe Tessem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think what the instuctions mean is that you use from 5 to 7 minutes depending on whether you are pulling, developing normally, or pushing. Just to leave the statement like that is very confusing though. I would use the normal 6.5 minutes and see if the density is adequate.

7. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the 6.5 min time, and the density came out good. But the slides came out way too blue... My temperatures was spot-on all the way, so I don`t know why they ended up like this. With the Tetenal kit I never had any problem. But this Agfa kit was of unknown age as I got it off ebay... Back to Tetenal...