Agfa fixer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Blighty, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently tried to order some Ilford Hypam fixer, only to be told that it is no longer supplied by Ilford. I had to get Agfa Agefix instead, which I've never used before. In typical Agfa fashion, there is nothing about fixing times on the bottle. A cursory glance at Silverprint's catalogue suggests a similar fixing time as Hypam. This is rather too vague for me, and I was wondering if anyone had something a little more in depth regarding fixing times. Regards, BLIGHTY

2. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WHAT !!!! Not that I'm doubting you but where did you hear it? I'm asking as Jessops are still supplying it :surprised:

3. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    my dealer just got a whole new shipment of ilford fixer. it was a bit late but it did arrive

4. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forgot to say that the data sheet that came with the paper should contain the times. Agfa Agefix for MCC 111 is 1 to 3 minutes at 20C.

5. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Does Agefix contain hardener?
    Mark

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, no hardener, according to the Agfa Agefix MSDS.

The contents of Agefix follow:

Ammonium Thiosulfate

Sodium Acetate

Boric Acid

Sodium Sulfite

Water

Thus, Agefix is an Ammonium Thiosulfate based rapid, non-hardening fixer. Its pH is buffered and is mildly acidic.

The Agefix MSDS:
    http://www.madsens.com.au/new/darkroom/Agfa_SDS/MSDS Agefix Concentrate.pdf

7. m_liddell

m_liddell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  8. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really do hope I misunderstood the info that was given me by Silverprint. They said Hypam was no longer being supplied. Actually, I've just been thinking, and it may be that it is no longer supplied under the name of Hypam (didn't Ilford change its name for some reason?). Either way, it'd be a shame to lose what has been my standard fixer for donkeys years. Thanks all.Regards, BLIGHTY

9. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just seen Agfa's Tech. Inf. pdf, and this sort of muddies the water even more. At a dilution of 1:9, they're quoting fixing times of 4 mins (for FB) ± 1 minute at anywhere between 20~35°C. Does this not seem a little vague? Ilford give very precise times/temps for Hypam. Obviously I don't want to underfix, but neither do I want to overfix my prints. BLIGHTY