Agfa Multicontrast Premium and Viradon [new]

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Fintan, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone used the new viradon with multicontrast premimum?

If so, what was your results like?

2. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It tones, a very chocolaty tone for me.
    I left hte print in viradon for a long while... don;t know the dilution but the result was good (IMHO)

[​IMG]

3. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chocolaty it a new term for me, I like it.

Did you use Neutol as your developer?

4. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can;t remember which dev I used for these print, made it a long time ago and just threw the print into viradon to see how it worked.
    My guess is that it was Ilford PQ universal or AGFA Multicontrast.

I have standardized my developer to Ethol LPD now, but haven't used viradon yet with this combo.
    I usually have toning-only sessions when I collect enough prints (10 8x10s or so)

I tried selenium in Agfa MCC and MCP, Ilford MGIV and WT developed in Ethol, and I liked the results a lot. Ethol tneds to make fine grain prints and they give a very nice cold tone in selenium.

5. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

The Agfa papers respond very well to Veridon toning and I think this particular combination gives great results. As Titrisol mentions, it can give a tone quite similar to Chocolate in colour. If this is something that appeals, it's worth trying.

Like Veridon on most papers, the results can be variable, and need to be closely watched during toning. The longer the paper is left in the toner, the lighter brown it will go. It's a good idea to keep a wet reference print alongside the toning print so that the progress can be checked.

Personally I like to combine Veridon toning with Selenium toning, which gives a rich dark "chocolate" result.

The attached pictures show examples of the range of colours available, additionally to Titrisol's example. Both were toned on the same paper (Agfa MC 111 Classic - which gives a result quite similar to Premium) with Selenium and Veridon, with varying times. The columns being the longer of the two.

Attached Files:

6. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From a different thread but right on the spot, I believe Viradon and Kodak brown toner are very very similar