Agfa Optima 200

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by poutnik, Jul 18, 2006.

1. poutnik

poutnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Slightly out of date (4/2006) negative film Agfa Optima 200 (med.fm) - does anyone of you have any experience with this film? Is it well suited for landscape shooting? I primarily shoot Fuji NPS 160 and Pro 160 S, but might have an opportunity for this Agfa film.

Thanks for your ideas

Jiri Vasina

2. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used it ... and I love the stuff - as much as I do ALL Agfa Color films.

"Good for landscape?" - Why not? What makes a landscape so terribly different from all other photography?

3. poutnik

poutnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Ed,

well I think that portrait films - less saturated films - are not so good for landscape for my taste, I prefer a bit of punch (?). It doesn't have to be the saturation of Velvia and the likes. Also the rendering balance of colors is good to keep an eye on, as I have a dislike for the Kodak Portras...

That is the reason I ask...

Jiri

4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Optima 200 is / was not a "portrait" film ... Agfa Optima --- I've got to look in my fridge --- No, I've used the last roll --- I think it was called "Portra" --- was less saturated and more or less (I never could tell much of a difference) balanced for portraiture. That had, IIRC, a "box speed" of 160. Good stuff.

5. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agfa Optima - which came in 100, 200 and 400 was the "generic" Agfa pro negative film. Had a very nice colour palette and plenty of saturation. Agfa Portra was the portatiture film.

6. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    right this second, I am getting load under 2 seconds.

7. raven4ns2

raven4ns2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    agfa films

I have always used Fuji negs for my landscape and Ilford XP2 for my B&W's. I liked Fuji because of the greens. What is Agfa like? Would someone please post a landscape with trees in it so I can see how it renders the greens? Thank you.

Tim

8. poutnik

poutnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tim, I've ordered some Agfa Optima 100 in 120 rolls, so in time as it arrives, I'll try to shoot some landscapes and post sample images... I too use mainly Fuji negs (NPS 160, NPC 160, Pro 160 S, will try Pro 160 C) though...

Jiri

9. raven4ns2

raven4ns2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you Jiri. Most of my shooting is black & white and I know the film I like best there. It's the color that I'm prepared to experiment with. Thank you again.

Tim