Agfa-photo bankrupt

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by edz, May 27, 2005.

1. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its has just been announced on the radio here (Munich, Germany) that Agfa-Photo has filed for protection from its creditors. They are not able to make payroll. Yesterday was a holliday here. According to the early reports on the radio they expect several 1000 jobs to be potentially cut.

2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    bummer, I guess the contest is on the way out too.....you all better stock on Rodinal.....

3. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :-(

/running to the shop right now.

Could it be held in a freezer without consequenses (except for food contamination)?

G

4. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can live without Rodinal. But the MCC paper is another story. NOT HAPPY.

5. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is sad news but not really unexpected.

Agfa Photo should cut down more costs and production estimated on a shrinking market.

Bye the way: Here is the official announcement http://www.handelsblatt.com/pshb/fn/relhbi/sfn/buildhbi/cn/GoArt!200012,200038,904307/index.html

Best regards,

Robert

6. Phil Woodney

Phil Woodney Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the heads-up! Just ordered 40 rolls of APX100.

Phil

7. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep it's a bummer but at least they tried. Time to stock up on Rodinal and after that it looks like I'll have to either make my own or go back to D-76. As is life :sad:

There again there was another soup that Les mentioned here and did a review of for B&W Photographer, can't remember which one now I'll have to look back through the mags.

8. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh no, no more Agfa Scala b&w slide material....or development! A tragedy. I should be off to by a new freezer and stock it up with Agfa stuff. Really liked the RSX color slide film as well...

Norm

9. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    So we can't get our current stock of Scala developed? Bummer!

10. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if it was good or bad for our photography but with the problems Agfa and Ilford had many of us tried alternatives to what we had been using for years. Better a progression into other materials if we really had to rather than a big bang.

The result is that some of us found we prefered alternative materials. Where I used to only use HP5+ to use at 400 to 1600, I now find that I really like Tri-X. So as a result instead of buying loads of HP5+, I split the purchase into HP5+ and Tri-X for different uses.

I know of others that found they liked alternative materials to the Agfa ones they had used lovingly over the years.

I think the same applies to many others as well. So I suspect that Agfa and Ilford have lost the market share they had before the problems :sad:

11. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dire news. Okay, it's not very good for us, but for anyone working at Agfa... :sad:

All the very best to the staff and their families. I hope some good somehow comes out of this for you.

I understand that the formula for Rodinal is fairly well known. With Agfa out of the frame is it possible that someone else will start to produce it?

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Isn't Efke or someone already manufacturing R09, based on an older Rodinal formula?

13. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    :sad::sad::sad:

At least I have 8 bottles left...When they are gone I have to go the XTOL way...

:sad::sad::sad:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. fotophox

fotophox Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are they actually going out of business, or (at this stage) filing for protection? No idea what the laws are like in Germany, but in the USA there's a difference between Chapter 7 bankrupcy, which means the end of the company, and Chapter 11, which may be rescue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

16. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We'll have to wait and see which type of filing it is and if they are able to bounce back like Ilford did.

I would think that it might a good time for a shift to Pyrocat and minimal agitation, not Rodinal, but it is very sharp. tim

17. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think there are a few rodinal like devs out there made in eastern europe. I think some are available from retrophotographic in the UK - Original Adox brews I think. Moersch might even do some too.

APX100 would be very sad indeed. FP4 plus just is not the same.

Tom

18. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    R09 is comming from Calbe Chemie (former Eastern Germany).

Alternative for Scala on 35 mm format will be the Fomapan R100 B&W slidefilm. A Foma developerkit is also available for this film (and development of also Scala).

Alternatives for APX100: FP4+, Fomapan 100, Acros, ....

Looking at the global market: Agfa-Photo must be reduced at a size and amount of employees like Ilford did. The question even rises if there is enough space on the analog film market.

19. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think this is my fault, guys. I bought my first bottle of Rodinal last weekend, and was planning on opening it tomorrow to try out :sad:

Horrible news, both for fans of their products and staff working there. Hopefully they work their way through it like Ilford did. I think I might have to go buy some of the remaining stock the local store has tomorrow.

20. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The report is vague on details:
    <<Das Amtsgericht Köln hat ein vorläufiges Insolvenzverfahren eingeleitet. Der Kölner Anwalt Andreas Ringstmeier ist zum vorläufigen Insolvenzverwalter bestellt worden. Er muss nun prüfen, ob Agfa noch eine Chance hat zu überleben.>>
    There are no figures for assets versus liabilities - the article simply says that a provisional insolvency process has been initiated, that an administrator has been appointed and that he is exploring ways by which Afga could survive. This has been done by the Cologne District Court, presumably in response to a petition by creditors.

21. gareth harper

gareth harper Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sad news indeed. Bad news for the employees, a horrible situation to be in.

We need to wait and see what happens. If Agfa as a whole does go down, then hopefully somebody will buy up the profitable bits.

I'd be very surprised if somebody didn't pick up the Rodinal name considering it's cult status. I'm also sure some of the eastern manufactueres would love some of the Agfa lines and products.

But lets hope that a new Agfa emerges from the ashes of the old.

Mmmm, just as I was starting to get a taste for APX100.

22. dschneller

dschneller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Filing for Creditor Protection is far from closing up shop. Take heart, Ilford re-emerged out of the process. Personally I have worked for a company that has been through CCAA, although CCAA may be different from what Agfa will face, and it certainly is one way to shed a substantial amount of debt.

Dave

23. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can see Morten and Tony (TPPhotog) in a shopping cart battle over the last bottle of Rodinal. :smile:

At least Photographers' Formulary is making Rodinal kits so the developer won't be going anywhere. If this does happen, I will miss the APX 100 (120) like the 4X5 version. Reasonable price and I liked the look with Rodinal.

Regards,
    John

24. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Well, You can't say that I didn't warn you.

I wrote this in a thread that I started a couple of weeks ago asking for opinions on Agfa MC 111 :

25. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I agree with dave schneller
    this will take time and they will still be selling paper and chemicals in the future.
    I met one of the Vice Presidents of Agfa product division , about 7 years ago and was amazed to find out he did not know what a Platinum print was. I am supprised it took so long for Agfa to be hurting.

26. Thilo Schmid

Thilo Schmid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are no differnt types of bankrupty in Germany. There are only different procedures for natural and legal persons. After the court has determined Insolvency, the primary issue is to protect outstanding trade depts. It is unlikely that the business continues, if no additional investor appears. It is a rare case that a company in this order of magnitude recovers from Insolvency. It is more likely that a rescue company is founded in which the immaterial assets (Trademarks, Patents, etc.) continue to live somehow. Sad, but it seems that Agfa-Gevaert has made the right descision to sell the film and paper business last year.