Aging Paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by AnselAdamsX, Jun 15, 2012.

1. AnselAdamsX

AnselAdamsX Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What happens to variable grade papers as they age? Does contrast decrease? Does the maximum black become lighter? Or does it just get slower? This is my first time doing a wet print and I am using some old Ilford multigrade FB IV that was given to me (box yellowing). I have a color head and used just white light so according to Ilford that should be about a grade 2 unless the age has affected it.

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contrast decreases. Fog levels increase. Color might change.

My advice to anyone who starts printing is: Use fresh paper, or the experience will be confusing as hell.

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this is really solid advice. Incredible prints can be made on some seriously old paper, I have seen many. But learning on old paper is bad news. You've got more than enough variables already.

Good luck!

Shawn

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can add to this that speed also decreases.

Good advice as newbies need as few variables as possible.

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Along with already what has been said, the brightness of the base may also be affected. I do frequently print on old ilford multigrade iv and the majority has held up nicely. I have a box of 200 or so sheets of 8x10 fiber that has yellowed a bit. Maybe good for toning lol such as sepia or coffee/tea. Also very expired papers can be used for lith processes with lith devs.

Glad to hear you set up the darkroom! NYC meetup again soon!

6. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, AnselAdamsX,

I agree with the good folk above; learning on degraded materials is a bad idea. IMO, buy some new paper and use the old stuff for test prints and practice work - once you know what you should expect from new materials. You can compare and contrast the materials too. Have fun! :smile:

Cheers,
    kevs