Air travel with photo gear

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Fraunhofer, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:30 AM.

1. Fraunhofer

Fraunhofer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since this seems to be a regular topic, let me report my experiences:

The past year, I have been on about a dozen trips and through about twice as many airports throughout the US, Europe and Asia carrying either a Spotmatic with a radioactive Takumar or Zeiss Super Ikonta and ISO400 B&W film in my carry-on.

I never observed any fogging even on a trip where I went 8 or 9 times through a checkpoint.

Today, for the first time I was stopped at the checkpoint for additional screening related to the Zeiss Ikonta: this was at London Heathrow and all they did is have a look, ask what this is (underwater camera, sir?) and did a swipe test.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's quite normal, I've had my cameras checked and swab tested many times at UK airports, the security is very tight and has been ramped up significantly in the past year.

I find it more worrying that security is lax as some airports when I fly back to the UK, two I pass through regularly but my cameras used to be inspected now nothing.

Ian

3. Robin Guymer

Robin Guymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Same here, no problems with a number of interstate flights and I have called the airport to confirm that 400ASA film is safe through the carry on X-ray. Travelling to Tasmania last week with 3 Nikon bodies, lenses and a pack of film, I saw my bag on the X-ray screen. It looked impressive. The security officer stopped the conveyor and turned around till he caught my eye, gave me a smile, shook his head and sent it on through. Maybe another Apug member! Nothing quite like a good old film camera to attract a bit of attention these days.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not had problems for years traveling with cameras. Just carry your film on board the airplane. I have never had a problem with ISO 400 film.