Airtight storage bottles

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Krzys, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anybody know where to pickup some bottles that are satisfactory for containing photochemistry? Not necessarily brand name scientific equipment, but a cheap alternative as I am on a budget. I am in Brisbane so something in QLD would be preferable but I know how it goes with supplies in Australia.

I bought some glass bottles with stoppers at the local department store and they don't seem to be airtight.

I don't need them to be amber as they are stored in total darkness.

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What volume are you talking about? There is a place here in Melbourne which sells brown bottles from about 10ml up to about 100 or 200 ml. I know you said they don't have to be amber. There would be similar shops in Brisvegas.

3. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well right now I'm looking for something to store mixed up powder developers - so something larger. I will look into smaller bottles for when I'm using concentrated mixes.

4. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the small glass ones for decanting deveoper into so that it lasts longer. The concertina-type plastic ones are good for larger volumes.

5. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You can buy dark brown glass bottles from your pharmacist. Use glass marbles to take up space in the liquid to displace excess air preventing oxidation.

6. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Premixed 1.75 liter Margarita bottles are nice, got my replenished Xtol in one of these. Recycled 5 liter wine in a box containers, the stock Xtol is in one of these. I use 1 liter clear plastic bottles for the Stop, Fix, and Hypo Clearing Agent.

7. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kryzs, I will shortly be placing an order with a place in Brisbane (Cospak) for 500ml amber glass bottles with wadded caps. They have a minimum order quantity of between 25 and 48, depending upon the style, so I will probably have plenty to share. I think they will work out at around $2-3 each - I am still waiting for a precise quote on various models.
    Ian

8. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you, please contact me when they arrive. I assume 1-3 weeks?

9. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure. If they have them in their warehouse, I may have them late this week... I will let you know.
    Ian

10. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Easy. Any restaurant that sells wine. Wine bottles are excellent for storing photo chemistry and usually free.

Use 'em with the VacuVin stoppers. Just about any wine shop should carry them. More than air tight -- storage with a vacuum over the chemistry works even better. Kodak says XTOL stock is good for six months; I've used it at 12 months with excellent results. It really works.

11. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I use mt 2 and 1 liter soda bottles. From my experiences the plastic doesn't react with photo chemicals and the cap seals it up over & over.

12. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used PET bottles in the past. They seem to work OK.

I don't know about brizzy, but actually getting glass chem type bottles is not as easy as it seems locally. I did speak to a plastics manufacturor the other day. They said they had a few bits and pieces that would be suitable. I might find out what they are made of and ask here if such compounds are OK for storage.

13. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, some of you will disagree, but here's my 2c...

Glass is obviously excellent and if almost full any effects from the air inside the bottle is likely to be negligible. On the other hand, I'd rather have something that doesn't break as easily.

So, that leaves us plastic bottles for that purpose. There are lots of plastics and some are more air penetrable than others. I was given an accordion bottle, but soon I realised that it expanded to it's maximum volume. The cap was anything but airtight.

I started using bottles that had carbonated drinks. They had "PET" stamped on them. The good thing about them, compared to others used for water, is that they have an elastic flange at the cap. If tightly capped they should be airtight. Soon I discovered that it's true.

I put some paper developer in one of them (working solution, Ilford MG, 1+9). The next day the bottle had shrunk. That must be a sign that the developer had reacted with the oxygen in the bottle(1). So, the volume of the oxygen lost was not replaced by air outside the bottle. A very good sign that it was airtight.

After that, I found a propane/butane bottle, that kind that is used to fill lighters. It won't react with the developer (Tetenal Protectan is more or less the same), but it certainly is flammable. So, I thought about displacing air with that.

I gave it a try and I'm pleased. When spraying that gas into the bottle, it's temperature is much lower than the ambient. Therefore, it will sooner or later expand as it's heated. So, after an hour or so, I loosened the cap a bit and let the "excess" gas leak, just like when opening a bottle of a carbonated drink (2). Two days later I checked the bottle again. No shrinking! The bottle didn't feel pressurised at all and when opening it I didn't hear anything leaking either.

So, it seems to me that it's a cheap way to store chemicals. The only risk involved is the gas, but have a look at the ingredients of any spray and you'll notice that they all have propane/butane...

(1) As opposed to the stop bath and fixer bottles. They were tightly capped as well, but their volume remained as it was.

(2) If the pressure in the bottle is high you can't say if there was something in there that reacted with the developer. The bottle's volume will still be the same.

14. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, stupid question, but here goes: Does the *color* of the glass bottle matter? I want to store Xtol developer and Kodak Fixer and have 2 2-liter medium dark green (but not opaque) bottles. They are seem like they would be perfect for storage, but i'm completely new to this.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recently PE posted that if the bottles are stored in a cool dark place, any color glass, including clear, is acceptable for storing chemicals.

Steve

16. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HA!!!! I *just* read that! Thanks Sirius!

17. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the brown bottles that hydrogen peroxide come in. here in the states they come in 1 pint and 1 quart sizes. The quart ones run less than $2 with contents(most times I just dump them)Also I watch for 2 for 1 sales - they get real affordable then. After a good washout with scalding I let them air dry for a day or so. I also use vinegar jugs for the gallon size. Rubbing alcohol bottles work as well.
    Rick