Albert Kahn Series Ovation TV

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Nancy Gutrich, May 5, 2010.

1. Nancy Gutrich

Nancy Gutrich Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This has been airing in the Chicago area...well worth watching...look for it

"The acclaimed BBC documentary series The Wonderful World of Albert Kahn reaches U.S. television audiences for the first time on Ovation. This extraordinary, nine-part series explores the most important collection of early color photographs. In the early 1900s, French industrialist and financier Albert Kahn embarked on an ambitious project to create a color photographic record of, and for, the people of the world. Kahn believed that he could use the new Autochrome process–the world’s first practical system of taking color photographs– to promote cross-cultural understanding. Kahn’s vast and legendary collection of Autochromes remained relatively unheard of until a century after he launched his project."

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw the whole series on B.B.C4 and it's really worth watching, there are such beautiful and interesting colour photographs in it.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The book from 1979 presenting a glimpse at that collection is intriguing too.

5. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have caught bits of this series and enjoyed it. Ovation is also running a documentary on Shelby Lee Adams on Friday evening that I am looking forward to. I am so glad that I cut the cable and got Direct TV and found the Ovation channel.

6. Nancy Gutrich

Nancy Gutrich Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I look forward to seeing the book.

7. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've been to the museum in Paris, and the associated gardens. A very nice way to spend an afternoon.

8. skyrick

skyrick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! I missed the beginning of this series, but Ovation is running all 9 episodes back to back Saturday starting at 11 am CDT. DVR is set!

9. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ovation has a lot of photography items this weekend (on the local cable source around San Francisco). The Eloquent Nude should be showing on Saturday night (PST).

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just saw the new book, the BBC edition, over here at the surplus at half the prize. Couldn't find a decent copy though.
    Anyway, I find that first book more charming.