Alkaline Fixer TF-4

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by hortense, Nov 10, 2004.

1. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Recently been using TF-4 alkaline fixer with a water bath stop. Has anyone found that this fixer inhibits Se toning? (vs. using acid fixer followed by a hypyo clearing agent).

2. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used it for years with no trouble toning forte papers others may not respond as well.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've found the opposite--it enhances toning, at least with papers I've used (mostly Azo and Maco Expo, but also Gallerie, Oriental, and a few others). My toning time with Azo after a wash after Zonal Pro rapid fixer without hardener and KRST 1:15 was 3 min. to maximum black, and with TF-4 I had to cut my toning time to 1 min at that dilution.

4. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just fixed six Azo prints tonight in TF-4 and toned 'em to max black with Selenium 1:30 in under two minutes. (They were probably there in less time...I spend the time the print's in the toner setting up the contact frame for my next exposure, so two minutes is about the time I first get back to the toner to check on them.)

5. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just made the switch to TF-4 myself- I have found that it seems to actually enhance toning, at least on Ilford WT and Berrger CB-

YMMV

6. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks all for your feedback. I'll check my Se mix which is normally 1:15 Se to water plus 1/4 tsp Kodak Balanced Alkali all made up to 64 oz.
    Previously with acid fixer I followed with a hypo clear bath then directly into the Se bath followed by another tray of hypo clear. As you know with TF-4 a hypo clear bath is not needed. So, what I've tried both directly transferring to the Se bath with no wash and tried with a wash (same results). Mystery continues.

7. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acid is usually a toner inhibitor, selenium and sulfide toners are alkaline.
    Se toner uses ammonium thio as carrier, and sulfide has to be alkaline or it would stink the place even better.

For both the use of non-acid fixer is of great help. See Rudman's processing for permanence section in the toning book

8. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Try omitting the balanced alkali. Going from an alkaline fixer, I don't see why you would need it.

9. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a liter of stock TF-4 sitting around that I haven't opened yet. Quick qeustion. Should I mix the entire gallon of working up right away, or is it safe to just make a liter of working as I need it?

10. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd recommend mixing the whole gallon, just to be sure it's uniformly mixed. It's very long lasting in the working solution.

11. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TF-4 is a white creamy solution, shake it well before you make up the working solution and there should be no reason to believe that it won't be uniformly mixed. I prepare a liter at a time.

tim in san jose