All roads lead to Rome.

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by cmo, May 2, 2012.

1. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    So, I am going to Rome for a short trip, and I am not keen on the normal touristic sites except for some street photography :laugh:

What would you do in Rome?
    What do Romans do in Rome?
    What is worth looking at except the 'usual suspect' places?

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Travel light, take plenty of film. Virtually all tourist spots, expect to hear "no treppiede" every time you get a tripod out (unavoidable with slow film and large format).

One odd ball places to visit is the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini on the Via Veneto - Go in to the crypt (small door to the left of the church) and marvel at the creative art. No photos allowed, so make do with a postcard.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It doesn't matter where you go. Rome is fantastic.

4. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oops. No infrared... :blink:

5. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Note, I didn't say tripods were banned - On my last visit, the officials usually told me after I'd taken the shot and was in the process of packing up :smile: It is inside churches where photography is restricted or banned. The Forum, Palatine Hill, Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon where tripods are "banned", the last having signs up if you care to look for them (which I didn't).

Rome can be fun with plenty of stuff to shoot.

6. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was there two years ago and although I had a tripod I just didn't take it out in the city. I shot MF Delta 400 with no problems. You can't go wrong, there is an image waiting where ever you go. I carried two Hasselblads one with a 50mm and one with a150mm a couple of filters and a light meter plus film for the day in a daypack and left the rest in our hotel room.

Buy a pass for the public transportation because the metro and buses are the easiest way plus walking to get around. Don't forget to eat .... the food is great. The people are friendly and in general easy to engage in conversation and ask directions if necessary.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

7. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was there two years ago and although I had a tripod with me I didn't take it out in the city. I took two Hasselblads, one with a 50mm lens and one with a 150mm, Delta 400, a couple of filters and a light meter. I used a daypack and left the rest of my equipment in our hotel room.

Don't worry about what to shoot every where you go there are images just waiting to be made. Buy a pass for public transportation for the days you will be there. It is the easiest and fastest way to get around. The people are friendly and helpful and in general easy to engage in conversation. Don't forget to eat ... great food!

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

8. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ..and don't forget to go and shoot at night..pack some TMZ or Delta3200 and hit Trastevere, Piazza Navona, Castel Sant'Angelo area.

9. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My sister visited Italy and told me that some people drop furniture from top of the building on to the tourists and until ambulance comes , they get everything from you lying your bald head on the the granite stones of the heavens of roman kings , queens .

10. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What if you have long hair?

11. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    They shave it and sell to the shaved others :smile:

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    or may be give you olympic swiming medal chance at london with your hydrodynamicaly optimized head. You can run swiim and run to London from whereever you are at us.

13. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Less frequented places:

Villa Borghese, with full of fountains, small buildings, and various attractions. And a copy of the "Globe" (as in Shakespeare + Theatre) in real wood. Never been in there. I suppose one watches the show while standing up, like in old Bard times.

Pincian hill - Pincian hill garden. Communicating with Villa Borghese through a bridge over the Aurelian walls. Same as above.

Janiculum hill - it is fundamental to take a history book and study about the Second Roman Republic, 1849. This place exudes those events and the fights against the bloody French accomplices of the bloody pope (said without resentment toward the French of today, of course).

The Appia Antica, old Appian way. You need to have good legs and plenty of will to put them at use. There's also a specific bus making several stops at various places. Absolutely visit some catacomb (San Callisto, or Santa Domitilla, being the obvious ones) see the tomb of Caecilia Metella (or just affectionately called Cecilia Metella) and obviously Porta San Sebastiano, Arco di Druso, the nearby Porta Latina and the nearby church San Giovanni a Porta Latina and "martyrium" San Giovanni in Oleo. (You can see Porta di San Sebastiano, Porta Latina, Arco di Druso and nearby churches on foot before taking the Appian bus).

The not-to-be-missed-places:
    Piazza Navona, Piazza di Spagna, Piazza del Popolo, Piazza San Pietro, the four major basilicas, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza di Spagna.
    Then you have one museum ticket with which you can visit Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine hill in different days.

Do have a walk on the Caelian hill during the day, and another walk on the Caelian hill during the night, with your tripod.

If you still have time, just go anywhere in between those places and you won't be disappointed :smile:

Fabrizio

PS Buy a good guide, and study it well before going to Rome. You won't have time to read about anything. It will just slow you too much. Have a general reading of all the important stuff before. Take virtual walks with Google Maps. Learn the relation between the various hills and quarters. Walk, walk, walk.

Absolutely don't eat at restaurants which don't have the price list outside. Have a good guide to advice regarding restaurants, or ask the locals for reliable places.

Be extremely wary of gipsy children, typically waiting for you in train stations or in the street. They can surround you and deprive of your money much, much beyond your assumptions*.

Fabrizio

* In case you think this remark is politically incorrect, then by all means do please ignore it.