almost nothing on film from HOlga

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by jgcull, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

I processed film from my HOlga, and there is almost nothing on the film. There are some few dark streaks, but no images. Why would that be? I've never had this happen before. I was shooting Tri-X 320. The edge markings are there.

Thanks.

2. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lens cap was on?

Regards, Art.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Take the back off and look through the lens as you operate the shutter. Sometimes the little spring that make the shutter rotate either comes off or wears out, but my guess is that Art has the right idea.

- Randy

4. WGibsonPhotography

WGibsonPhotography Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a spring problem with my holga before. the spring came off, and I had to put it back on. Could be the lens cap, too, though. I dont take my Holga out much anymore, but leaving the lens cap on is something I would do (though I havent done it yet, suprisingly).

5. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mechanical problems aside, you could also need longer exposures or faster film. There's no meter in the thing, and only one shutter speed. Some of my images come out a little darker than I would like.

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The dark streaks sound like light leaks. If they are the only things on the film, meaning that there are not even any very faint images, then I guess that the lens cap was on when you were shooting.

Step #1 with a new Holga is to chuck the lens cap into the recycling bin, for this very reason.

7. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

I don't have a lens cap. That was lost long ago. I wish that was the problem... it would be easy to fix. I'll check out the other suggestion. BY the way, I didn't say but I was outside on a bright sunny day.

8. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On a sunny day there should have been plenty of light for Tri-X exposures. Most likely it's the shutter problem mentioned above.