Almost out of film!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Markok765, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have 3 rolls of tri-x and 2 rolls of Kodachrome left. I buy my film in 100'

Should I stick with Tri-x or do the APUGers have any suggestions for a different film?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A couple of weeks ago I bought 100 feet of Tri-X at B&H, and when it came up from the stock room I said, "That's the stuff" just to acknowledge that they'd sent the right item, but the guy behind the counter gave me a knowing look as if to say, "Yeah, that's the stuff."

3. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i've been using tri-x for about half my photographic life and don't plan on switching...i've tried just about every 400iso film out there and i like tri-x the best...if i want less grainy shots i go with tmax film, but that's usually never the case.

4. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah, I find no reason for you to change to other films.

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you like it, stick with it. If you want to experiment, get three rolls of another film you want to try and give it a go - then decide if you want to buy 100' of it. I mainly use 400 Delta for fast speed (mainly in 120 & 4x5) but that is no reason why you should... Suck it and see.

Bob.

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Until you've come to a solid understanding of one film and found its limitations, I'd stick with it. Is there anything about Tri-X that you don't like? Is it too grainy? is it too fast? too slow? Are you not getting the prints you want from the film you're shooting? If the answer to at least one of these questions is yes, then I'd look at switching film. But first, I'd look at improving your development and printing techniques before switching films. We are truly blessed in this day and age to have essentially no BAD film available. There are some better than others, and some that are special-purpose that don't work well outside of their intended goal, but really no BAD film.

7. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Like a fool I keep trying other 400 films - and I keep coming back to Tri-X. It's a bunch of films in one. At 400 in Xtol - wonderful. At 1600 dilute Xtol - great and at 400 in Rodinal 1+100 - exquisite! Don't like it much - do I?

8. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like HP5+ but I've shot several miles of Tri-X and would be perfectly happy if it was all there was available. Stick with it. Good stuff.

Didn't I read a while back that Kodak was discontinuing Tri-X in bulk rolls?

9. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are still selling them and I can order them in from my local Henrys. I was just wondering what other films I should try?

10. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Say this isn't so. If that is the case, I'm stocking up.

11. Chris Breitenstein

Chris Breitenstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stick with what works for you, If you are pleased with the results you are getting by no means change.

Yours;

12. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Used Tri-X for 40 years. Our family has used it since '54.

It's the $#!t. :smile:

13. pschauss

pschauss Member

The only film I like better than Tri-x is Plus-X which is two stops slower. When I travel, I usually carry both. If I have enough light, I will shoot Plus-X, otherwise Tri-X.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

16. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob has a great thought here, but I beg to differ slightly; I would get 10, or even 20 rolls of another kind of film (if you actually do switch) and soup them in the dev you're using for Tri-X. I can take awhile to learn what a film/dev combo can and cannot do. Different EI's, agitation routines, dev times, amount you dilute a dev, temperature, etc., all make a difference.

17. singram

singram Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am also a big believer in Tri-x. I like it better than almost all other black and white film.

I did, however, start shooting the Arista.edu Ultra 200 recently, and love it. It also helps that the bulk 100 foot rolls are 1/2 the cost of Tri-x. I was very skeptical at first, but I've shot about 20 rolls or so of the Arista.edu ultra film and have no complaints.

steve

18. Alden

Alden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I switched to HP-5 for it's ability to handle the highlights a little better, and am now after four years of it with both pyro and D76, trying out Fuji Neopan 400, which seems to have both highlights under control like HP-5 and tighter grain than either. That said there is a Tri-X "look" that time and again I see from others work that makes me jump up and pay attention, but I don't go in for mystification. It's mainly a little grit and shouldered highlights.

19. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Notwithstanding the warnings (that make sense) about sticking to something consistent, it is hard to pass up a bargain from someone who is unloading film they didn't care for.

Most of my film shooting doesn't need control, repeatability, etc (not yet), so I'm happy to be able to try different types for just the initial impression, to be explored in greater detail later.

20. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Concerning the discontinuance of bulk Tri-X. I did read this on RFF recently. Turned out to be a rumor that was later discredited by Kodak.

21. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That certainly is good news. I would think that 100' rolls of Tri-X would be one of Kodak's better selling itmes. To discontinue it would be like my local grocery store discontinuing milk...

22. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely true of course: the more rolls the better idea you get. My thoughts were that as Marko is still at school, he'd want to keep his experimenting costs down. If he's gonna buy 10 or 20 rolls he may as well just go out and buy a 100' bulk roll (as he does for Tri-X) for about the same price :wink:.

Addendum to original post. If you do want to try others Marco, I suspect Delta 400 or Tmax 400 would be the best choices as they both have a very different look to Tri-X, being "newer technology" films with a different grain structure. Arguably, Delta is more forgiving of exposure and development inaccuracies than Tmax according to my reading (I never did get on with Tmax 100 and that sort of put me off Tmax 400 - I don't think I've ever used it)...

One option to add another string to your bow would be Delta 3200 or Tmax 3200. I keep meaning to try them but Tmax 3200 seems to be only available in 35mm and neither are in 4x5". I don't know the bulk-roll supply situation with either.

Have fun, Bob.

23. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would venture to say that, since 1954, more really good 35mm photographs have been made on Tri-x than all other 400 speed b/w films combined.

John, Mount Vernon, VA USA

24. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Ah yes, forgot about that student thing going on!

25. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marko, here's the link to Freestyle & their Arista brands. The prices are attractive. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnc=402

Freestyle is in LA and you're in Toronto??? Check you shipping costs!

Like Flying Camera says, no bad films out there.

26. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was told that by the clerk at Adorama. Didn't believe him, and he was wrong. I wrote to Kodak for the straight scoop. Tri-X continues to be sold in 100 ft. rolls.