Alternative to C-22 Processing?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by mmdesign, Jul 13, 2009.

1. mmdesign

mmdesign Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have four rolls of Kodacolor X film that my father shot and was wondering if there was an alternative developer to the expensive C-22 processing?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. mts

mts Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could be processed as a conventional black & white negative, but you definitely want to try a clip from of one roll before souping all the film. It's likely to have a high fog level and not produce images that are particularly usable. Perhaps PE might suggest a starting point? Perhaps D-76 for about 6 minutes?

3. mmdesign

mmdesign Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, I'm rather new to all of this, what/who's PE?

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people have processed it by hand (not a lab) in C41 developer at 20°C, the colours won't be perfect, then bleach & fix as normal.

Alternately you could mix up the C22 chemistry from scratch, the formulae have been published. This is the best option if you have access to chemicals. Otherwise B&W in ID-11/D76.

Welcome to APUG BTW.

Ian

5. mmdesign

mmdesign Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info (and the welcome!). I searched for the C-22 formula but was unable to find it. If you have a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have a link, but I'm sure it'll be on-line somewhere, it's not very complex. I have various C-22 formulae back in the UK in publications but I'm not there for a while.

It's possible I have something here but I can't scan it, but could photograph it & email to you, normally I scan & OCR. I do have 3 pages from 1961 on processing Kodacolor, by then it's C22 :D

PM your email address and I send it in half an hour or so, I've already taken the photos. :smile:

Ian

7. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've developed C-22 in B&W. It's not very good for printing but it's okay for scanning. I think I just used Diafine since I had no other times/options available. The film was only from the early 80s, though. Basefog wasn't so much an issue as all the layers of dyes still in the film making it all extremely low contrast to print in the darkroom.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    C-22 was discontinued in 1972 :smile:

I've sent the formula to Michael, I'll try and OCR the images and post the formula here on APUG, it was published until the mid 70's in the BJP Almanac/Annuals.

Ian

9. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it was your Dad's shooting, spend the money and get it done by a lab. Don't risk it.

10. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Must have been old when it was shot then because the images on it were definitely early80s/ late 70s based on the ages of the kids in the picture (husband's family photos). Husband was born in '77 and he's much older than a baby in the photos!

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last roll of KII sat in my Dad's camera for years, I think the novelty of photographing the kids wears off, and around that time basic cameras became simpler, better and more user friendly and many more housewives bought cameras and took over the role of shooting the family snaps. Well my mother did :D

Ian