Alternative to Forte Polywarmtone?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Whatadame, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Whatadame

Whatadame Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My paper of choice for quite a while now was Forte Polywarmtone--which, of course, is no longer produced. I stocked up on what I could, but I need to find a replacement.

As I don't have much by way of funds to tinker and experiment with alternative papers, I'm looking for feedback/suggestions for comparable warmtone papers.

Thanks!

2. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1) Adox Polygrade (polywarmtone), very warm emulsion on white paper stock, sensitive to developers with regard to print colour.
    2) Fomatone MG Classic, very warm emulsion which again responds well to developer type. The paper stock is on the 'cream' side.

3. Whatadame

Whatadame Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd heard that ADOX was repackaged Forte. Do you happen to know if that is actually the case?

Thanks for your help.

4. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry can't confirm that but you could ask Nigal at Retrophotographic.
    http://www.retrophotographic.com/about.htm

5. RoBBo

RoBBo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From the ADOX page on the subject...
    Sounds like it was Forte Polywarmtone, however, it also sounds like they're trying to make it go the way of Agfa MCC/MCP.
    I think I love ADOX more and more every day. I thought it was lost completely until this thread made me see that page.

6. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Please please please. I only got a box left.

7. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Same here.

8. RoBBo

RoBBo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that's where I'm at as well.
    About half actually, and half a box of Neutral.
    Does anyone know if the ADOX that made/distributed that paper is the same as the one re-producing the Agfa MCC/MCP? I know there's a bit of a confusion sometimes with the names between Efke/Adox/Fotokemika and who is who or whatever.
    It'd be great to hear something on this subject from Mirko.
    Seems like we're down to Foma, Ilford and Adox for paper producers now, for most basic purposes.
    The more things like this Adox can pull off, I'd say the better off everyone is, I know a lot of people who love those Agfa papers and also that Forte one and them being able to get them still would definitely get Adox some new customers.

9. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Mirko has posted loads of information on this subject already in multiple threads. To sum up the new Adox MCC 111: it is basically the same emulsion from the late Agfa Classic, but with a whiter paper base. There have already been a couple of rounds of testing of this paper and the acclaim from APUG users has been almost universally positive. Mirko has said that Freestyle will be handling distribution of this paper in the States.

As far as warmtone papers go, there's Kentmere's Fineprint WT (semi-matte only...no glossy), Kentona, Fomatone FB WT, Fomatone WT Chamois, Oriental VC WT, Ilford FB WT and Fotospeed Lith. I personally love Kentona, but it's a graded paper (about US #2.5) and thus not an all-purpose item. Fotospeed Lith I believe has the same paper base as Kentona, but a different emulsion. Foma's warm tones have always been a bit much for me--the chamois paper especially (pricey, too!). Kentmere's also a bit warmer than Forte was...I suppose the closest candidates would probably be Ilford and Oriental. Mind you, that's not saying that either displays properties that are really close to Forte's...there are definite differences. Perhaps an alternative might be to take a good neutral paper and use warmtone developer. Or you could of course just tone the print to make it as warm as you want.

Or, you could just go here: :D
    http://www.apug.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5505

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
  10. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shameless plug. I have an unopened box of the good old stuff from before they made it environmentally sound in the classifieds. :smile:

Patrick

12. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  13. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Polywarmtone Plus was my base paper. I found Ilford Multigrade FB Warmtone developed in PQ Universal or 130 and toned in KRST comes close in color but.... has a lower contrast curve; especially microcontrast.
    I cool down Polywarmtone Plus so I have a bias. I don't run density test strips but a 25 sheet box of Oriental Warmtone FB indicates it has higher contrast than Ilford MG WT. Oriental is about .5 zone short recording the higher zones vs Ilford. Fotokemika Varycon FB VC is cooler than the 3 papers mentioned with steeper contrast than Ilford MG WT. Varycon also lacks an extended upper tonal range. Expect to burn in more. I prefer Oriental WT due to its curve and tonal richness. Its image color is warm on a white base but not too warm when toned in KRST:smile:.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sure, I am just waiting abour the first samples Fomatone MG 532 and later the first batch of "Fomatone MG PW14"

It's a main project between some European manufactureres and distributors from Germany (Moersch), France (Bergger) and the Netherlands (Fotohuis).

As soon we have found a reliable distributor (for Moersch Photochemie) for the USA and Canada the stuff can go around the other side of the pond. Also Bergger will be able to distribute under their own label.

16. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Are we looking at a few months? 6 months? A year or more? Just curious how much of my limited stock I can safely use without going cold turkey.

Wayne

17. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I still have some own stock PW14 (Forte) in 50x60cm (20x24") but for my exhibition I will need more for next year. So on behalf of my own interest I will speed it up if necessary :tongue: .

Merry X-Mas and I whish you all the best for 2008!

Robert

18. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, as far as techniqually possible on another coating line.

Lith yes, otherwise Moersch Photochemie is not interested:
    http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/

Regards,

Robert

20. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be very successful if they manage that.

21. zouwee

zouwee Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Just wondering if there's any news on this project.

Thanks!

22. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    MG532 (Natural, colored based baryta) is made now and for next month in Hradec Kralové.

It will be available around April (2008) in our web shop in a few regular dimensions.

23. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats good news, is there any test reviews of it yet?

24. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed good news in this fast shrinking market :smile:

I have been promised by Foma some test samples of this new MG532 paper first so if you want I can write a review in the new analog photo magazine:

http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/

Best regards,

Robert

25. zouwee

zouwee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any projections for the PW14?

26. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I searched for the alternative to Kodak Ektalure and found Forte PWT. Close in some ways, but not the same, therefore, I wouldn't expect there will be a true alternative to any discontinued paper. It's just wishful thinking. The best we can hope for is a new paper with similar qualities at the most, and, or outstanding qualities of it's own.

"Live and learn". I have a few sheets of Ektalure in my freezer (for reference only) and a large amount of various Forte papers (future stock).

Regards,
    Paul