Alternative to Jobo Expert Drum & Film Trays

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by lilmsmaggie, Aug 11, 2010.

1. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm relatively new to LF. I was introduced to developing 4x5 negs using the Jobo Expert drum; however, trying to find these on the used market has not been fruitfull and the motor base agitators are even more difficult to find. :sad:

The Jobo Expert would have been key in addressing a space problem. I don't have the space for trays, or tanks. Even if I were to bite the bullet and buy a new Jobo drum, the motor bases are like really scarce.

Is there another alternative to the Jobo drum?

2. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Specifically I use the Chromega 8x10 drum and a Unicolor Uniroller 352 for 4x5 and 8x10 film. These both can be found occasionally on eBay. There are several variations of drums available, but my preferred Chromega drum has three gray plastic adjustable rods (plus dividers) inside the drum. The rods and dividers are what make the drum usable for multiple film sizes. Another functional drum is the Unicolor drum, as pictured here . . . http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Older 2000 series, Jobo's pre rotary tanks. I have one in the UK the other here in Turkey.

Ian

4. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always used the JOBO Sheet film reel that uses the regular large dia. tanks. Worked well. Don't remember the model numbers.

5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Nikor made a stainless 4x5 sheet film tank. Looks like an oversized 35mm film tank.

You need the band that goes around the reel to be included. Worthless without it.

Holds 12 sheets and uses 36 oz of chemicals. Drop the loaded reel into the tank already full of developer which is also best practice with any "daylight" tank. The original immersion needs the be quick and sure and pouring thru the top does not get you there.

6. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear lilmsmaggie,

The Jobo 25XX series drums are a great way to develop 4x5 film. The 255X drums will sit nicely on an old print drum roller base but the 252X drums can be made to work on them if you place them inside a cardboard tube.

Some folks swear by the Combi-Plan tank but I've never used one.

Neal Wydra

7. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you are only processing B&W 5x4 then you could buy an Expert Drum and a Jobo Manual Base (a set of rollers basically) and you manually roll the drum instead of using a CPP.

Alternatively you could buy a set of BTZS Film Tubes - see Fred Newmans’ View Camera Store for details and on-line video - again its B&W only.

I use a series of Combi Plan Tanks pre-filled with Dev/Stop/Fix/Wash, load up the film cassette and with the top on the Dev tank agitate as you would a regular Paterson/Jobo 35mm/120 tank.

Just my $0.02

Martin