Alternatives to acrylic or glass???

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by jovo, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking about framing prints without a glass or acrylic cover. In looking through apug threads I came across conservator's wax, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that product or any other that would protect the surface of the print for display. Spray varnish? Anything? Do any of these degrade the paper or gelatin? Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions~

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For what it is worth. I have used Renaissance wax on a sculpture that would tarnish and it has worked very well. I don't think that is necessary for an archival processed photograph especially if it is properly stored or framed. I have also used Moab spray varnish on digitally printed photographs that I made into a book because I expected them to be handled. They were on Hahnemuhle photo rag paper (matte surface) and that also worked perfectly well. I prefer to use glass when framing. The environment in which the photographs will be placed should dictate the preservation measures. At any rate, test anything you plan to apply to the prints on a sample. I do not use any thing on either my silver or platinum/palladium prints and have not noticed any changes over more than thirty years.

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few coatings of anti-UV krylon spray?