Aluminum Can in Freezer, Arista Edu 400 , is it safe ?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    An Apugger sent me an can of Arista Edu 400. I opened it , used few rolls and put in to the freezer without securing in plastic case. Now the can is rusting and I have neither developer nor fixer at home to check the damage. Is it safe or not ?

Umut

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It all depends if the can is airtight, and hopefully sealed with tape. The rust is, of course, from moisture condensation from the damp air in the freezer, so this moisture could have condensed on the outer layers of film. If in doubt, your only sure answer is to load and process a test length before you use the film for anything important.......this is really the only answer to many of the enquiries on the forum as to whether any particular old or outdated film is still usable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  3. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll bet it's fine. I've had condensation on frozen film and it never hurt a thing.

4. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it's perfectly safe and normal. Also Al doesn't not rust. What you're seeing is steel/iron ferric reaction to moisture.

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you Railwayman, Roger and Clayne .

Take care all ,

Umut