Aluminum Overcast at Centennial airport this weekend.

Discussion in 'Denver' started by pbromaghin, Jun 16, 2014.

1. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 1985 I was taking care of my grandfather just outside Lock Haven, Pa. home of Piper Aircraft. That year they were having a fly-in and a B-17 was there. My pops next door neighbor was in charge of photographing the entire event, si he recruited me to help. They supplied me with all the film I could shoot, and a pass to the event. I got to fly in the B-17, what a jaw dropping, mind twisting ride in history.

3. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    great warbird

Fabulous bird. I remember in the 1940s when I saw one of them shoe-horned into a tiny airport in Iowa. I was a pretty amazed kid. In the war, it brought a lot of kids back home despite getting shot full of holes.

4. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only shot the exterior and never been in one. Rick, how would you suggest shooting the interior? How dark is it? I'm thinking maybe a 24mm and iso 400 B&W. I'll need to spool up some tri-x, or should I pick up some Delta 3200?

Would love to take a ride, but that's a lot of coin.

5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't want to step on Rick's toes, but I was inside a B-17G only two days ago. It was the Collings Foundation "Nine-O-Nine". They were at Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection at Paine Field in Snohomish County, Washington.

The inside of that B-17G is really cramped. And really dark. I had my 4x5 Crown with flashbulbs, anticipating only exterior shots. I didn't even try inside because the bulbs would have been way too powerful at those tight distances.

I would think at least a 24mm on a 35mm camera. But if you could go wider, I would. 20mm, or even a rectilinear 18mm or 15mm would not be out of place. There's a lot to show, but not much room to maneuver.

And as I said, it's dark. Not much light, and everything was painted olive drab or brown or black. Inside the fuselage, think of shooting with a flash down a mine tunnel. The nearest walls will be overexposed in order to get the end of the tunnel correct. And side-to-side wall shots will be made at not much more than arm's length. The more film speed the better, I would think, to enhance depth-of-field in the tunnel shots.

I do remember thinking that a synchro-sunlight-balanced bare bulb with a very wide angle lens might have worked well in the cockpit.

Ken

6. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, guys. 24mm is as wide as I can go and I just picked up a roll of Delta 3200. The tours aren't real long and there are usually quite a few people so there likely won't be time enough inside to use much more than that. I'll probably bring 2 bodies, one for inside and one for out.

And a scary thought comes to mind. Maybe the Cambo 4x5 can make it's first debut in public.