Always waiting for the other shoe to drop..........

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Jordan.K, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Jordan.K

Jordan.K Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I love going out with my 4x5 camera and taking pictures. I carry my bag, which contains my film holders, light meter, lupe, extra lense, etc. Of course also in tow is my camera and tripod. I drive to my general destination, find a place to park, get all my crap together and just start walking around and looking for a place to set up and take a picture. Just because I stop and set up the camera doesn't even mean I'll slide a filmholder and actually make a picture. I can be one of the most off the wall spazzes in existence, but when I get out to take pictures I become completely focused. I find that using a view camera can require discipline and percision, and for some reason when I am out there using one I can channel both of those faculties. I NEED to be able to go out and use my cameras....... I just do. I LOVE IT! I fucking hate how all the people who feel the same way I do may not be able to enjoy this mental savior of an activity, because of it's reliance on supplies that are so quickly diminishing. I know that I am preaching to the choir and that this little post is a bit sentimental and perhaps tacky. Whatever, I jsut thought I'd write it. It's the truth and it's frustrating. Please someone step forward and commit to making film and paper....... forever or at least a super long time.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    But tell us what you really think. Grin.

3. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Jordke,

I do not remember a more anguished thread....I have to reply....on a human to human level...

I do not know where you come from, I do not know how old you are, I do not know how long you have been carrying that kit around, but I am absolutely sure that when you no longer have the strength in your body to lift the lupe to the glass, some 20 something will be taking out a 5x4 kit 'FOR THE FIRST' time, exposing on film and then processing that film and then printing on film.......and feeling eactly the same way as you do today...photo art will never die.......silver based photography is the ultimate expression of that art, its the ultimate quality and the longest lasting available for the printed photo image, and every one is different, no two silver film images are the same..ever

We have been making photo products since 1879.......and we are every bit as passionate about it today as we were then......my 'educated' guess is that the World of film, paper and chemical manufacturing will continue to go through many, many changes, our company included, but as long as ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology exists, hopefully for a long time after I have gone, and no matter what other products it will be making then, I am sure the first line in our price list will be.. Monochrome Film / Paper & Chemistry...

And do you know what...my guess is that we will not be the only ones....

And I do not think your sentimental...I think your just passionate...and so are we....

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

4. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go, Jordke!!! Go, Simon!!! Boy, does this make me want to go shoot somebody!! Um, with a camera, of course...! :smile:

5. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format

AMEN to that! Thanks, Simon!

6. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well that ices it - guess I'll just have to shoot a roll of HP5+ this weekend! :D

7. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just loaded up eight sheets of FP4+ and plan to shoot them this weekend as a thank you to Simon.

8. joshverd

joshverd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Music to my ears! I get all warm and gushy reading this!

9. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Now it's time to bring out the violins, i'm all emotional:smile:

10. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, it's been raining here for the last two days, and it will rain for the next week because in California, it never rains until it rains endlessly for at least a month! :sad:

But even if I have to shoot it indoors, I'll shoot some FP4+ this weekend (in 35 amd 120) in celebration of Simon's post! :smile:

Pat

11. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon, you saved the doomiest, gloomiest thread with words of love. Bless you.

12. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what do we get for our trouble and pain.....just a rented room in Whalley range

Phew!Now I can put away the Radiohead ..........for a little while anyway:D :smile:

13. Jordan.K

Jordan.K Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Simon,
    I am 27 and live in Massachusetts. Your reply was great! I am gonna exclusively use Ilford Warmtone from now on because of you. How could I not place my loyalties in someone and the company they represent who would reply to such a post the way you did. Thanks man. You have made my day.

14. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bravo Simon. Long live Ilford.

15. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm just off to process a couple of rolls of Delta 400 now and looking forward to getting into the darkroom with some Ilford MGWT FB and Ilford chems tomorrow afternoon.

I reckon that means I'll have to shoot some more on Monday!

16. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't mind going without things it's a fine life LOL..

17. bobherbst

bobherbst Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Jordke,

The only tacky part of your sentiment is the use of the "F" word. This is a public forum. It does nothing to enhance your expression of sentiment or passion. It does not offend me but it might be offensive to some.

Bob

18. Jordan.K

Jordan.K Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I apologize if the "F" word offended anyone when I used it in my post. Glad to be a part of this forum and thus far I haven't encountered anyone I would want to intentionally offend. I hope everyone has been having a fairly decent weekend.

19. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't know where that "need" to create comes from but I feel it strongly. I always feel a deep satisfaction when I make a photograph or paint something or draw in my sketchbook.

In fact, my day always starts out better if I draw on the train on my way to work. I have a "creative" job and this always gets my mind working the right way so that when I get to work I'm already up to speed.

I draw and paint much more than photograph but I feel more creatively rounded because of photography. It makes you approach things in a completely different way than drawing/painting yet is still highly creative. I don't claim to be much of a photographer but I know compositionally, my paintings have improved because of my film use.

20. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to thank Simon for those words of encouragement. Although I've been historically using Kodak films for B&W photography, I think going forward will commit to using Ilford film since they are clearly commited to the B&W process. I definitely love their XP2 Super. I presume Delta would be a suitable replacement for T-Max?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Anthony

21. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used 14 sheets of FP4+ since Simon posted, in his honor. :wink:

22. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ther are some highly opinionated people who would say that Delta is superior to T-Max:D

Mike Sullivan

23. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like Delta a lot and use 100 / 400 as my main (almost exclusive) films.

However, let's not turn the thread into a "my film's better than your film" debate (I know we're not there yet, but it's a quick trip down a slippery slope! :smile: ).

Both are manufactured to a high degree of quality and consistency, each utilises new technology in their production, and each has their own qualities and characteristics.

The best advice is probably to try a few rolls in combination with a few of your favourite devs and see how they suit you. (Sounds like a fun weekend if nothing else!)

24. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a shame you can't get Delta in sheet sizes any more, though you can get TMAX 100 and 400. On the other hand, Delta 3200 is available in 120 but not TMZ, so it depends what you shoot really.