Amazing Discovery or OOOPS!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Richard Wasserman, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if this belongs in the film and chemistry section, or in the hang my head and put my tail between my legs section. I thought that after being involved in photography for more years than I can count I had made all the mistakes possible, but no, I found a new one. I just developed (maybe "processed" is the correct word), 2 rolls of 120 FP4 in Pyrocat HD. I have been using Pyrocat for quite a while with wonderful results and great consistency. Well, to make a long story short if you use 2 parts of the "A" solution and 0 parts "B", you get nice clear negatives. Not exactly the effect I was after. Oh well, there's always tomorrow....

2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    :D

3. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Maybe that is why its part a AND b! haha. We all make mistakes. Its okay. I think my biggest mistake was when I was first mixing Amidol...I used Sodium Sulfide, rather then Sodium Sulfite! MY WHOLE DARKROOM WAS A ROTTEN EGG! EWWW!

4. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If it makes you feel any better I will confess that I have done this myself, and more than once. And once with a 12X20" negative.

Life can really bite you on the butt sometimes!!

Sandy

5. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy, I suddenly feel better!

Richard Wasserman

6. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that had to hurt..

7. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Big Boo Boo

If you think that's bad, I can remember a time when I was out shooting on a cold winter morning. I was certain that I had some incredible shots on the rolls from that morning. I had not done any photography for a few months and I was rarin' to go. I loaded up the tank and just before pouring in the pre-soak, I got the feeling that I may not have loaded the reels correctly. So I opened up the tank and had a look. Everything looked fine so I closed the tank and commenced processing, thinking about the masterpieces that I had. I did not realise what I had done until I had a look at the film as I was removing it from the reel. Totally exposed film, :sad: and a whole morning's effort shot, as well as the time and chemicals wasted in the darkroom. Feel better now?

Mike Sullivan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2005
  8. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zathras, that sounds like an excellent argument for never developing before coffee... Ouch!

9. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I "feel your pain". Having botched my fair share of film developing by getting ahead of myself or just not paying attention, I can relate...

I'll add that one to my list of mixtures that don't work, right after Microdol-X 1:3 when the "1" of stock isn't added to the "3" of water... :smile:

10. jperkinson

jperkinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ouch!

Last fall: I had just finished dunking 10 sheets of Efke 25 in a Rodinal bath. I placed the lid back down and reached over to turn on the lights. When I turned around I realized that I had placed the lid down on the stop bath tank. After that, I made certain that the stop and fixer tank were at least 20 inches away from the the dev tank.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess there's the case for development by inspection, even if you develop by time and temperature (like I do), but sometimes you need a belt and suspenders.

12. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forgetting to close the top of the paper safe. While no unforgetable images were destroyed it was an expensive lesson.