Amazon Order TMAX 400

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ishutteratthethought, Apr 1, 2013.

1. ishutteratthethought

ishutteratthethought Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just received an order of T-Max 400 from Amazon. Looks like they sent next day air which scares me a little. Their customer service rep said they do not x-ray these items, i find that hard to believe in this day and age.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  2. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Isn't the air security x-rays only causing problems for high speed film, ie. 3200 etc. ? At least this is what I keep hearing on the airports both here in Europe and in the US.

3. ishutteratthethought

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately i had a number of rolls scorched when I had my TMY II checked with my luggage last August. You can still get images however they were milky from being scorched.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most likely Amazon uses one of the air freight services. Given the huge volume of shipments through air freight, I doubt X-ray examination of everything would be practical.

The situation with passenger flights is different.

5. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd never put film in check-in luggage. I did recently travel with TMY400 in both 35mm and 4x5 sheets. TSA X-rayed it three times (carry-on) and after dev the densitometer showed absolutely no fog
    compared to my lab standard. Air freight does not have the same rules as passenger airlines.

6. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your tracking number/shipping info should allow you to get in touch with the right people to ask.

7. ishutteratthethought

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I have done that, thanks for the input folks. The more I research the more I am thinking that the Amazon folks have it figured out.
    I am heading to the North Shore of Lake Superior on Thursday so we need good film!
    Steve

8. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've ordered plenty of tmy2 through amazon. Never a problem. A shame they have a 3-pro-pack limit for me.

9. kintatsu

kintatsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've ordered over 500 sheets of HP5+, FP4+, Portra 400, and Ektar 100, either from Amazon and Midwest or B and H, and not once had an issue. I'm in Germany, and it all comes form the states when I order.

10. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Putting film with checked baggage is a death knell. The scanners are orders of magnitude more powerful than those for carry-on luggage. Not even paper could make it through.

11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd like to understand this better. Can you point me to an authoritative source of that kind of information, please?

12. noacronym

noacronym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thank God I'm just a country boy living in a cabin in the country. I'm not flying ANYWHERE. There's one funeral in Nashville I'll have to fly to one day, but she's not ready yet. Screw all that security foolishness. I can't think of a soul I have a mind to blow up.