AmerGraph V28 VMS Exposure System on ebay

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Davec101, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  2. sanking

sanking Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think it is a fine unit. I own an Amergraph ULF=28 which has the same physcical characteristics as the V28 but instead of the metal halide lamp uses a continuous wave Xenon bulb. It is the cat's meow for printing with alternative processes.

You can read about the ULF-28 at http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/ULF28/ulf28.html

Sandy King

3. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sandy if I ever wear out this NuArc 26-1K, that is the unit I will buy. That's if I ever live long enough to wear it out. The restrike of the xenon bulb makes it a very nice unit. If you price an Edwards Eng. box of comparable size with a vacuum frame, then the ULF-28 is a pretty good deal

4. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Sandy

An interesting and well written review, sounds like a really good unit. Just out of interest do you know what the fall-off is like on the units that use metal halide bulbs such as Nuarc's. The reason i ask is that i have a parker platemaker/exposure unit at the moment which has two 300W mercury bulbs and i have problems with fall off at the corners.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2008
  5. sanking

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I doubt that fall-off with different units is consistent as there are different mechanisms used to even out the light, and some units don't even try to even it out. Some NuArc units I have seen had a piece of glass under the bulb that was patterned to even out the light, others have plain glass.

At one time I owned a NuArc 26-1k and the fall-off at the far corners was about 1.5 stops as I recall.
    Sandy King

6. Roger Bulcock

Roger Bulcock Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  7. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The diffusion dot pattern on the glass directly under the bulb that Sandy is referring to is a rubber type material just applied to the glass. What ever you do, do not wipe them with anything as they will wipe right off.

8. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roger! Welcome to APUG! Hoping you dried out after all your aqua-adventures up in Canada.

9. Zebra

Zebra Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Roger,

without a doubt the single greatest last name on APUG!!!

monty

ps Have you got the mental image of Dinesh in a dress out of your mind yet? Professional help is always an option.

10. sanking

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Monty,

I did not catch that look of Dinesh. Still trying to get over Sean and Valerie's reaction when they saw Brian's painted toenails.

Painting toenails does not appear to be common practice for men in northeast Ontario.

Sandy

11. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thats quite a lot! I am getting fall off with my exposure unit with twin 300w mercury bulbs on 11x14 inch prints. Am i likely to get with 1k unit?

many thanks

12. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well done, looks like you got yourself a bargin there, good luck with the unit.

13. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I print 8x10, 8x20, and 12x20 images with a 26-1k with no discernible fall off at all. 1.5 stops would lead me to think that the either the bulb was very old or the diffusion dots on the glass were gone, or both. I have heard of some fall off with people printing 20x24 with a 26-1k but no where near a 1.5 stop fall off. Mine seems to work fine within a 20" square. Although Dick Arentz probably has the latest and best exposure units available to him, if you look in his book there are pictures of him using a 26-1k.

14. sanking

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The 26-1K I owned and tested had plain tempered glass beneath the bulb, nothing at all to even the light. The ones that have the pattern on the glass to even the light probably give better results.

However, if you are interested in testing this just expose four step wedges at the far corners of the frame and compare the results with one in the middle.

Sandy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2008
  15. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Okay thats good news Robert, just hope when i get my Parker Countess Royal 1k unit (see atached a pic of it in the warehouse) that i dont have any problems as i really want to print larger. Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    5 hours to go and its at $100! gonna be interesting to see how much this unit goes for.