ammonium thiocyanate fix

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Marc Leest, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could a fixer defined from ammonium thiocyanate ? If yes what properties would be prominent ?

thx, Marc

2. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    RA fixers for colour processing contain thiocyanate. You could search for some MSDS documents. I think I read that the fixing is very fast and could be overdone, but I'm not sure. Also more expensive.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ammonium Thiocyanate was the basis of Stabilisers for rapid access processing, used on their own you don't get good image stability. Used with thiosulphate you will get a super fast rapid fixer which will begin to bleach the image (dissolve the silver) if fixing is prolonged. This of course isn't an issue with Colour materials.

Ian

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Our own PE's 'Superfix' uses amm thiocyanate, and it is a super quick fixer.

5. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Virtually all rapid fixers are ammonium based, usually using Ammonium Thiosulphate, although older formulae used Sodium Thiosulphate with Ammonium Chloride.

Hover the linked formula isn't based on Ammonium Thiocyanate which was the OP's question :D

Ian