An alternative to gelatin.

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by patrickdufour, Nov 18, 2011.

1. patrickdufour

patrickdufour Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey guys,

After years of shooting 35mm and medium format I've recently discovered a passion for large format photography.
    I've been wanting to take a stab at coating my own plates and was wondering if there is an emulsion that can be brewed that contains no gelatin. As a vegetarian I thought it would be a fun project to take up.

Cheers Patrick.

P.S. I understand that the only way to avoid all animal products is to move into an Igloo and gnaw on pine cones. :tongue:

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah right... the Inuit are some of the best meat eaters out there... :wink:

wildbillbugman (Bill Winkler) has been doing a lot of work on exactly this thing. See this thread.

And here's a brief primer on how to select a medium.

Now, if you're the kind of vegetarian that eats fish, maybe fish gelatin is the thing for you! :wink: Check this out.

Or I guess you could pick up the collodion process. The only living-thing ingredient there is cotton.

Best of luck.

3. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Patrick,
    If you wish, I will send you a specific formula and procedure for a blue-sensitive emulsion based on commercial silane treated PVA. I am currently waiting for a delivery of silver nitrate and have not made an emulsion since September. I have had other things I had to do. If you are interested in ortho or panchro emulsions, I can send info on that too. But I strongly recommend doing a simple blue sensitive emulsion first. BTW- Bostick and Sullivan now carry Kuraray R1100 silane funtional PVA.
    Bill

4. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Patrick,

If not, you can always shred the new $100 Canadian banknotes, when released. I believe they are being made of the same material.:smile:

Cheers,
    Clarence

5. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Also, I am a vegetarian and am very cognizant of the hypocrasy which I am guilty of. I do wish there was a 'way out' of the dilemma. - David Lyga.

6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Can vegans eat their own words?

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gelatin supplies 2 important functions in emulsion making. Gelatin functions as a peptizing agent and as a vehicle.

As a peptizer, it prevents silver halide from falling to the bottom of your beaker in one lump or a few large lumps. Instead, gelatin suspends the crystals in a creamy mixture.

As a vehicle, it supplies a viscous "melt" that can be coated and hardened and which remains intact through the processing procedure. It must be transparent and colorless.

If you select a material for emulsion making it must do all of the above. At EK we never found a single polymer that could do all of the above. We found two families of polymers that supplied the features of a peptizing agent and as a vehicle individually. That is about it.

Bill has had some success with the Silanes. I hope this is of use to all of us.

PE

8. patrickdufour

patrickdufour Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    holmburgers: thank you for the links.
    wildbillbugman: Thank you, I would appreciate the formula and procedure for the blue-sensitive emulsion based on commercial silane.
    CRhymer: I can't wait to pick up some new 100$ and make a trip to NYC. :tongue:
    David Lyga: its a hard line to draw.
    Vaughn: Deciding where to draw the line is an interesting experience. You tend to learn a lot about yourself. :smile:
    Photo Engineer: Thanks for explanation about its function when you say you worked at EK where was that?

Thank you everybody for your help. :smile:

9. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello Patrick,

Well I just got back from Rochester, NY (I live in Fort Smith, NT, X0E 0P0) and I found that my old pre-PVA 100$'s bought a lot more there than they do here North of 60. I believe Kuraray is the supplier of the plastic for the notes. (I am not making this up - 'though I may be mistaken).

Salut,
    Clarence

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I won't presume to answer for Ron (aka Photo Engineer), except to give Patrick a sort of hint:

Ron's name is attached to one of the main patents related to Kodachrome, and he lives in Rochester, New York.

11. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heh! Thanks.

PE

12. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Patrick,
    I sent you a PM.
    Bill

13. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, but in terms of image aesthetics is it really necessary. Salt prints, Van Dyke and Platinum don't need it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some salt prints use egg albumen which is gelatin! Gelatian supplies a glossy surface or carries matting agents for a matte surface or other effects. But needed? No, unless you want SPEED!!! Or perhaps COLOR, or even INSTANT!!! :smile:

There is also uniform coating, high speed coating and a host of other things.

PE

16. shon_soue

shon_soue Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone here managed to create gelatin free negative film?

17. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That depends what you mean by film, but see my previous post.

18. Clocker

Clocker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not know if this would apply to what you are trying to accomplish and I do not know much about chemistry, but 2 things come to mind if looking for a type of plant that would make a gelatin like product.

One would be agar and the other carrageenan, one is a culture product of algae used for growing mushrooms and the other is obtained from seaweed used as a common ingredient in milk products like ice cream.

They are both gelatin-like.

I have no idea how these would react to any type of photographic process or if they would have application at all and I also don't think these would be very permanent.

Could these products be used in some type of non-silver based photography?

19. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want an alternative to gelatin for coating negative-producing plates, just get into wet plate collodion. The chemistry is messy, the results are irregular, but you are dealing with a 100% animal-free product. Silver nitrate, collodion (cotton fibers dissolved in alcohol), ether, cadmium bromide, potassium bromide or iodide, sugar, ferrous sulfate, and cyanide (or hypo). All plant-based or inorganic.

20. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Are you eating the gelatin when working or what. there is a lot of processes to make prints without gelatin. Pt/Pl is one.

21. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Collodion is an ether solution of guncotton! It is flammable and explosive, so take care!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collodion

Gelatin serves many purposes in today''s modern emulsion making. It makes high speed and safe emulsions with good hardness and keeping.

PE

22. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wasn't there some experiments with latex years ago???
    :-0

Thing about vegetarianism is... vegetarians tend to replace meat with dairy produce.

I.e: Food products made from the lactose secretion of cows that is no longer needed to feed the baby calf that has just been slaughtered for veal.

I can understand Vegans getting hot under the collar about gelatine, but vegetarians?

My cousin went vegan for a while. He lived in a damp house. Determined not to use any animal produce at all he redecorated using wallpaper paste guaranteed free of animal products.

Then his wallpaper fell off... :whistling:

23. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve;

When I was a child, wall paper paste was made from pure wheat paste. I remember helping mix the stuff.

PE

24. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We live in the UK. It is cold and damp. Trust me... you need the fish glue over here :wink:

25. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That must stink! Wow.

PE

26. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only as much as your films stink of cow :smile: