An Arkie on the web

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by B&Jdude, Apr 17, 2008.

1. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello! I'm an ordinary guy, age a bit over 60, living in an Ozark Mountain small town. My first film camera was a Boy Scout Brownie at about 8 or 9, then later got a B&J Press 4x5 at age 13. Drifted away from LF for many years, then recently got back into it. Now using 120, 4x5, 5x7, & 8x10 and virtually all I shoot is B&W.

EuGene

2. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Eugene.

3. Bill Mobbs

Bill Mobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG EuGene. This is the place to rid yourself of all that "ordinary guy".... Soon you will be as "odd" as the rest of us....

best Regards,

bill

4. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi EuGene, welcome from across the pond in England.

5. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Eugene. Welcome from Canada

6. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Eugene. Welcome to Apug.

7. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ordinary is a relative term. We're all ordinary in some context, right? I'm still looking for my context. Welcome, Eugene, from the heart of New England, somewhere west of Boston.

8. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm back . . . had some sort of trouble since I was on last, and have been unable to log on prior to now. I hollered "HELP" at Jim Galli over on the LF Forum and he must have gotten it fixed.

Anyhoo, ordinary was, I surmise, a lousy word choice, as I certainly wouldn't want to be known as ordinary, in the general lay sense of the word. Whitey, I think your "ordinary as a relative term" is more to my liking, as it looks more toward the connotative, rather than denotative, meaning of ordinary. I like that, as it gives me some wiggle room!

So, I am happy to be an eccentric, oddball, photographer interloping within this body of normal folks. EU

9. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to APUG from Oklahoma, your neighbor in as much as the web can offer.

10. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the group, EuGene.

11. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Eugene, from a former Arkie now in Georgia. Never been to Clinton but if it's in north Arkansas it's probably a bit of heaven.

12. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another warm welcome from England, enjoy the forum.

13. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the welcome, folks. I'm glad to be here and ready to learn from the LF folks in this forum.

Gary, yep, I am in north central Arkansas about 70 mi. north of Little Rock. It's nice up here, very scenic, and all that jazz. It might even approach Heaven, or at least the Garden of Eden, if we can get rid of the dang ticks that are so inclined to feast on me whenever I go out into the wild woods and hills to shoot some poor helpless film.

Eu

14. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So you are on the other end of the lake from Heber. I might have some distant relates there. My brother lives south of you in Mayflower by Conway.
    BTW that film is sometimes not so helpless. I've been trying to attack train mine, though all I've got so far is an occasional nicked finger.
    How soon can we see some pics posted?

15. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Gary, I hope to get out there and burn up some film pretty soon, if the weather ever clears up. It has been cold, rainy, and muddy ever since the tornado tore through town in early Feb. I don't go out doors in any inclement weather except by necessity . . . like going to work or to eat!!

I suspect that Spring shall have sprung around these parts in the next week or two, and then I shall then emerge from my hibernation hole and start taking pictures.

As for posting them, I haven't a clue how to do that - I'm truly a technological Luddite - other than mail 'em to somebody who has the software and equipment to scan them and upload them. Maybe I can get Frank Pinchak or his grandson, Brian Silverstein, to post some pictures for me (I think they are both members of this forum).

The Little Red River begins feeding the west end of Greers Ferry Lake here at Clinton. We are about 40 mi. east of the dam there at Heber Springs.

EuGene

16. kchittenden

kchittenden Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome from southwest Missouri!

17. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome! you can check out, but you'll never leave............:D

18. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Am I going color blind?? I would have sworn that dog wasn't black . . . looked sorta teal to me. Is the chambre noir anywhere near the Hot Club? Anyhoo, thanks folks - glad to be here.

19. spb854

spb854 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey fellow Arkansan!! Hope you survived the storms.
    Welcome to APUG. You will LOVE and learn a LOT on this
    forum.

Steve

20. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Steve:

I came out of the tornado OK, but my beloved old Minolta SRT's were blown away and never found . . . they were in a Pelican case in our community band building that was blown away. SRT's are cheap and easily replaced, but you ought to see what 5 timpanis (about $12,000) look like when they have been tossed and rolled for about 1/4 mile!!

The reason my cameras (and copy stand) were in the band building was because I was going to photograph all our instruments and their serial numbers so we could buy some insurance. Well, we didn't quite make it, and the cameras went away with the instruments, about 400 sets of concert band music, sound equipment, furnishings, repair tools & parts, etc. - - about $50,000 worth of uninsured stuff, not to mention the building, of which nothing remained except the foundation and front steps.

EuGene

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  21. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Eugene, you need to add the 2 1/2 X 4 1/4 format to your repertoire. Eugene lives in WorldsBiggestLiar, Arkansas. That's where I sent a box to him and it got there just fine. :tongue:

22. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Jim, ya rapscallion! I'll show you, by golly . . . I'll roll some of the 70 mm stuff on a 116 spool and snap some pix that will win all the top awards and leave you in the dust!! Grrrr!

That gal introduced elsewhere in this forum does look a lot better than you. LOL

EuGene

PS: Jim, send me $200 and I'll send you the first two prints, just to show how nice us liars in this humble burg can be (while we pick your pocket).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  23. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'll have to round it to $198 or $201 because all I've got is $3 bills. jg

24. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Send 'em on, Jim . . . we need bills in that denomination to make change for tourists passing through. They will always have fond memories of their visit to the humble burg of WorldsBiggestLiar, Arkansas.

EuGene Smith, Prop.
    Dewey, Kechum, Cheetem, & Howe Enterprises

25. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eugene... welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene