An External Cooling System for the Beseler 45S Dichroic Head

An External Cooling System for the Beseler 45S Dichroic Head

1. felipemorgan

felipemorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    felipemorgan submitted a new resource:

An External Cooling System for the Beseler 45S Dichroic Head - An External Cooling System for the Beseler 45S Dichroic Head

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is totally unlike the 45S that I have. It has many more controls and LED indicators.

Just FYI.

PE

3. felipemorgan

felipemorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that info PE. I did not know there were multiple variations on the 45S. In the one pictured in this article, there is an On/Off switch, a "White Light" indicator, and illuminated filter control dials but no LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  4. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Philip, you have the later model, some might say, 'better' dichroic head. The computer version is okay, but prone to issues with voltage regulators. Fairly ingenious setup for the the fan and something that Beseler used to do on their older MCRX (blue finished) models.

5. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You have apparently leapt ahead backwards. Many moons ago I had a dichro head for my Beseler MCRX 45. The cooling unit was external with a flexible plastic tube running from the fan to the lamphouse. You have gone back to that design.

6. felipemorgan

felipemorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed, externalizing the cooling fan is a move "backwards" in one sense, but for me it reduced vibration in the enlarger head and decreased the operating temperature of the head, so it was worth it!

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My dichro 45 died so and I can't get a replacement head at reasonable price so I ended up with a CB7 with the Dichro DG head. I like the Dichro DG head with 2 lamps, more light and more even but I don't like it external cooling blower.

8. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My 10x10 Chromega has a rather large external fan box connected to the Dichro head with a flexi-hose also.

9. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The one the you have, Phillips, is the standard 45s and the same model is in production for the longest time. In fact the 45s is still available now, even when the newest 45 Universal has been discontinued. The version that PE has is called the Dichro 45 Computerized color head. It's basically the same as the 45s but there is sensor mounted on the diffusion chamber to display on the 3 LED the actual amount of filtration. I like this version a lot more but like the one I have, when it's dead I can't fix it. Electrically the standard 45s is simple and I can fix most of its problems. It doesn't have the scale on the control knobs.

10. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sweet deal. I like that the fans are mounted remotely. Easier to implement, little risk of damaging the head, no vibration..