An NPR story on Shelby Lee Adams

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I always get angry when someone brings up 'exploitation' issues viz a vis Shelby. He grew up in the hills of eastern Kentucky. He used to travel with his uncle, the only doctor around for miles, to visit these folks when he was a boy. To them Shelby is family. Besides, there's not an exploitative bone in Shelby Lee Adams' body.

3. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He has had a new book published recently by Candela Books, Salt and Truth who also published a book of photographs by a somewhat forgotten photographer, Gita Lenz. Haven't bought the Adams book just yet, but if the Lenz book is any indication, Salt and Truth is bound to be a gorgeous book. Well worth it if you are intrigued by Shelby's work.

http://candelabooks.com/

4. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a very compelling movie about Shelby Lee Adams that is a must see for photographers or anyone interested in his work.

Apart from the strange beauty of his portraits, I think the best thing about the work is that it explodes the minds of the politically correct arts intelligentsia. They simply cannot get past the idea that this man has spent decades photographing such people, whom the PC crowd simultaneously a) claims to want to protect due to their low social status; and, b) loathes due to their low social status, perceived lack of intelligence and urban refinement.

The "exploitation" accusation is the classic Argument from Intimidation. It is not designed to encourage free thought and discussion, but rather, to shut it down.

5. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Spot on!

6. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have to watch the DVD again, but I believe a point made in the Adams video is that we in our Modern Society "hide" the relatives that may be mentally retarded or even just old. Whereas in the Appalachian Society all members of the family are accepted. And Shelby Lee Adams photographs all those family members. If done by an "outsider" (eg, a Walker Evans), it might appear exploitative. But done by those who grew up or live in the area, its not (or is it?).

7. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What does "NPR" stand for in this thread?

This is the first time I have heard of Shelby Lee Adams work and I admire the images located through a Google Images search

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  8. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Truth, Justice and the American Way.

Or, I guess you just mean what is NPR? Equivalent of ABC Radio National, I think. Click on the link in the OP, it'll explain itself (I'd insert a smiley emoticon here if I did emoticons).

9. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darn that Netflix. I have streaming only. "The True Meaning of Pictures" is only on DVD.

10. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is a terrific movie.