An odd little Avus

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by JPD, Mar 25, 2007.

1. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What do you think of my "new" little buddy? A Voigtländer Avus 6,5x9 with a pristine Dagor 6,8/130 and nice working Compur. Originally it had a Skopar in not so good condition.

Usable for portraits maybe? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Pretty, and no doubt capable of excellent results; a lovely little architecture camera, too. But more trouble than it's worth, for my money, unless you have a roll-film holder. If I'm going to mess around with cut film, I prefer bigger bits of cut film...

Cheers,

R.

3. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do have roll-film holders, but they have issues with film flatness and the focus is off compared to the ground glass. I'm planning to make a gg-holder from a filmpack cassette, and adjust it for use with the roll-film holders. Someday...

I know what you mean though. I have a 6,5x9 Bergheil with Heliar, and a RF-Bessa with ditto lens, and somehow I prefer to use the Bessa most of the time when I want that "Heliar look"...

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't found it difficult to use cut film in mine, I guess it's all to do with how you use them. I have a VAG and a Bergheil in 6.5x9, and an Avus and a Bergheil in 9x12...

5. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That looks like a fun camera. I have a KW Patent Etui that is similar to your Voightlander. I would encourage you to acquire a roll film back to make it simple to use, but otherwise it is a lot of fun, if not too practical, to use these cameras. You could surely use that lens on a 4x5 too if you tire of the Avus. Just have fun with it!

Patrick

6. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Patrick, yes the Dagor came from a 9x12 Goerz Tenax, but I don't have an enlarger for 9x12/4x5". Yet. :sad:

I have two roll-film backs for 6,5x9. One Rada for Plaubel, and one Rollex-Patent that fits my KW Patent Etui cameras well. I have four Patent Etui:s with different lenses. Pocket cameras. :smile:

Here's a pic of them, the roll-film back, plus a film-pack cassette with a viewing screen that I'm planning to adjust for use with roll-film for exact focus.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  7. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What other lenses are on you KW's? Mine has a Zeiss Tessar. Just curious.

Patrick

8. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tessar 105 and 120mm, Steinheil Unofokal and Meyer Helioplan 105mm (dialytes).