Analog to digital and back again.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by emtor, Sep 17, 2010.

1. emtor

emtor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Several years ago I owned an Olympus OM1, OM 10, Lubitel 66 and a Yashica MAT 24G. Then came the digital revolution and I sold everything and never shot a picture for many years. Then last year I moved to the north of Norway and was struck breathless by the beautiful scenery so I purchased a second hand DSLR, and then another DSLR and took up shooting pics again. It took me about five minutes in front of my laptop to regret selling the Lubitel and the Yashica. I was quite convinced that analog medium format used to be of a very different and better quality than what my DSLR's are able to come up with.
    So, I went "back in time" and purchased a Rolleicord III, Rolleicord V and a Bronica ETRSi. Since the summer holidays I've been shooting six rolls of Velvia 50, and today I developed the first one shot with the Rolleicord V, and WOW, even before the film has dried I can tell that I was right about regretting letting the Lubitel and the Yashica go back then. Even without insepecting the frames closely I can already see that the pics are dead sharp with loads of detail and great contrast.
    When shooting digital I was playing around with HDR as a means to reproduce what I actually saw when shooting landscapes. The images shot with my DSLR's looked dull and lifeless otherwise, but looking at the frames of Velvia hanging to dry at this very moment tells me I'll probably never have to fiddle with HDR again.
    . . . Analog to digital and back again . . .

2. FiatluX

FiatluX Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  3. faustotesta

faustotesta Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome home.
    Kill the fat lamb ! Put him the ring in his finger......

4. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Emtor,

Temporary Insanity, That's The Digital Revolution ...

Analog Is The New Digital !
    Remember to spread the word, and share your enthusiasm !

Ron

5. emtor

emtor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks all of you.
    The old Rolleicord is truly an amazing camera. It was made in 1953, and it still manages to make my jaw drop when I'm looking at the images it is able to produce.
    I also purchased an old exposure meter,-a Gossen digisix 2, and I compared it with the meter on my DSLR using a greycard, and the old selenium meter is spot on.
    Digital revolution? -NOT!

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have wondered from the paths of righteousness. Now that you have repented and returned, you shall find forgiveness. Welcome back to the dark side.

Steve

7. emtor

emtor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am truly repenting, and to make amends I'm bringing the roll of film, laptop and my Epson v750 scanner with me to work. Working nightshift at the hospital, and since there's only one sleepy patient to look after I'll try out the Epson during the long night.

8. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only Digital Revolution that had any impact
    on me, was my first visit to the Urologist in 2006 !!!

Ron

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Emtor and welcome to APUG and back to the beginning.

10. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome back and welcome to APUG! Great move! You have some great gear on your hands. Have fun!

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to film and APUG!

Jeff

12. srmcnamara

srmcnamara Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    And jump right back in with home-processed E-6?!

I guess it is just like riding a bike

13. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep On Keeping It Real Emtor !!!

14. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome home. I also have a Rolleicord and it takes wonderful pictures.

r

Mats

15. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great stuff, congratulatins on your pilgrimage. I'm still a repeating sinner, but less so than before. Took up film (MF) again earlier this year, and though I wouldn't say the quality is that much better than can be had from my digital cameras, it sure is much more fun. Different league altogether.

I can understand your wonder of the countryside up north, its stunning.

Best regards
    En Søring

16. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG and glad you are shooting film again!

17. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds great - very glad you've found film again, I came back to film in a similar, roundabout way. Epson v750 huh? I had a v500 a while back and loved using it when making digital end-products of my film work - best of luck with it, I found it dead simple to use and the scans were everything I could have asked for.

Just as a side note - I never really liked the way my colour reversal (slide) film looked when scanned with the v500 and always had to play around with it - not sure why that is, colour negative stuff looked great without any alterations. Anyhow all the best and enjoy your new old cameras! :smile:

18. emtor

emtor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well,-I'm a "søring" too, and I moved to Karasjok a year ago, which made me take up photography again after many years of no activity.
    I can't make claims about digital in general, but my Nikon D-50 and D-3000 did not impress me very much. For close-ups these cameras are fine, but for landscapes they proved (in my opinion) almost useless. I still have a long way to go in getting to know my scanner and the software (Epson v750/silverfast) but so far the results look promising. But I'll admit that digital is easier, and I truly hate the mess with chemicals in the darkroom, but the medium format gear is a world apart from the lower cost consumer DSLR's.

19. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Those Rollei (cords and flexs) will always deliver. One dare not speak them in the same breath as Yaschica, much less Lubitel! Keep the Rolleis rolling along!