Analogist Anonymous

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Seabee, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Seabee

Seabee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

My name is Chris.... and I am an Analogist....

It is hard to know where to begin... I guess it may have to do with the fact that my father was an analogist, and his father before him... they say it is in the Genes...

I was not ALWAYS an analogist... I mean, I used to a bit... as a youth... everyone did... but for years I gave it up... was on the Digi-wagon for the longest time... no demon Analog corrupted me...

But the spirit is weak....

I wanted to upgrade my canon EOS10D... it was nt bad as Digi goes... but my friend had a 5D... and although that was out of my range... i wanted the new 50D... or at least a 40D...

Then after all these years Demon analog reared its ugly head... On the way to the virtual store I was looking through a store window... and there, for peanuts was a Mamiya 645...

I dont know what drove me to it... i really cannot say... but I found myself on the information highway clutching Analog in a brown paper bag...

It went from bad to worse... from nowhere ANOTHER mamiya 645 popped up... then a hasselblad 500CM.... then because the Analog was befuddling my brain... I dont know why... but suddenly I found myself awaiting the arrival of the second 500CM....

My friends look at me strangely... I dont know why... I think I have managed to keep my secret... they look, give each other knowing glances... the room goes silent when I walk in... I do my best to have my 10D around my neck at all times... but they are not fooled... :-(

Maybe its the smell... the lingering traces of Rodinal.... yes... I have hit the hard stuff... I would not deny that i spent the last quarter of an hour fixing in my basement....

I need help....

Thank you for listening......

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The first step is admitting you have a problem....Welcome to APUG! We'll only make your condition worse.

3. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

4. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

I thought, by the title, you meant that you're anal about your photographs. I was going to say, I identify. Welcome!

5. Seabee

Seabee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I must add to the above... 2 mamiyas, 2 'Blads... and change left over... still cheaper than an EOS5D... and a just a bit more than the 50D.....

6. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am an analogist also. Being an analogist is like being lonely guard on an outpost, when a creepy sound is heard right behind your back. Whereas logging onto APUG is like being a really good athlete watching another team play in your spare time. And taking pictures is like when you smell a odor you haven't experienced since childhood, and the memories come tumbling back.

Heck, I have analogies for everything, sort of like the night sky has a lot of stars, and there are ones that you don't even know are there, but you really know they are there, because some person somewhere has a telescope and could show you if you only lived closer, but you don't , which is probably good, because sometimes the garlic parmesan ranch dressing you have on your lunch salad gives you some pretty killer breath, and the last thing you would want to have happen would be to compromise the friendship of the only person who can show you that stars you don't know exist really do exist, and losing a friendship like that would be a serious bummer, so it is probably good that you don't live that close.

So yes, I am an analogist too, which is like a warm refuge to which I can always return.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings from Richmond Va. You can count me as a analogist!:D

Jeff

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He doesn't have a problem, he has a feature. One we all share. Toot, toot! :D

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from England.

Most of us have those same symptons.

Steve.

10. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard Chris - plenty of fellow sufferers here :smile:

There is no cure, so just enjoy the ride!

Have fun, Bob.

11. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chris - welcome to APUG!! :D
    The only cure is to have no $$$$$$$$$$$, and I suffer from that cure! :sad:

Enjoy your visits to APUG.

gene

12. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Analogist - that's a lovely word. Welcome to APUG. Where do you live in Germany?

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you now and have you ever been in the past a card carrying member of the Analogist party? Yes? Good and welcome. Questions with slight variation and much less menace by kind permission of Senator Joe and Richard Milhous Nixon RIP.

pentaxuser

14. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the forum from another Chris.

15. Seabee

Seabee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

near Aschaffenburg

LG
    Chris