And another darkroom enthusiast is born!!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by JohnMeadows, Sep 18, 2011.

1. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yesterday I had a flickr acquaintance over; he had expressed interest in learning how to develop his own B & W film. I did a demonstration of how to do it, and I had an extra tank and reel that I traded to him for a few rolls of film.

On his way home he picked up the required chemistry and late last night I got the following message from him:

"Well John, I did it! I have developed a roll of film! Holy cow it's easy! I can't get over how simple it is! I just processed a roll of Arista Premium 400 Professional... I'm just ecstatic about it! The roll came out great! I follow the directions for the developer (Kodak TMAX) which is 1+4... just fantastic! I will be scanning the images in tomorrow, as I just don't have the time tonight..
    Thank you so much John!
    I'm in your debt! "

Seeing the excitement of someone discovering the darkroom really brought a smile to my face :smile:

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, it really brings a smile to my face too. :smile: Sometimes when I meet people at the local shop, and explain things like how to develop a film, it's like I am back where I once started myself.

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh happy day!

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love to hear that!

Jeff

5. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very very cool! Now I hope he has both the room and the small amount of dedication needed to pick up an enlarger and start printing. That's always been the real magic and art for me.

6. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once he sees his first image appear in the developing tray, he'll be hooked. Every one of my printing sessions begins with WOW!

7. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Great John!

Not only good to have another convert, it shows a positive side of collecting (which so often has negative connotations)... When you have darkroom stuff you don't actually need you can pass it along when someone else needs it.

8. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes it's great to see equipment used, instead of just gathering dust!

9. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is good news. The more people we get burning film, the longer it'll be available. Keep the demand for film up, every film head counts!

10. Juri

Juri Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Only a couple of days ago I also demonstrated developing film to a friend of mine, who likes to take photos with her dSLR and was very curious about how is film developed. Unfortuately she didn't show any interest in using film herself, but I'm still glad that I got to spend enitre evening with her and also take some photos of her.

11. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to add to the mix : I am importing B&W film in New Zealand,and selling it,along with a Process Service,on a local auction site.
    The demand is nothing short of Amazing.
    One of my better customers is a Photography Tutor : he has a class of 50 ; all learning Film Photography.
    It ain't Over Till it's Over..