Annoying thing happened in the woods today.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by photomem, Oct 11, 2009.

1. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whilst hiking at Shelby farms today carrying my mamiya 645af, something annoying and strange happened. When I was leaving the car, I loaded a roll of film into the back, it advanced fine, no sign of lag or anything. Halfway through the hike, I switched the camera on and noticed that the indicator on the back showed two dashes instead of a number. I pressed the shutter, the camera fired, then the back began to advance like I had just loaded a new roll. This kept happening until the back reached the end of the spool and actually was trying to expose leader paper. I changed the roll, thinking it had lost track of the markers on the backer paper, the back did the exact same thing again. I noticed that the back would cycle back to loading whenever I would turn the body off. It became increasingly apparent that the watch battery in the back was dying. An expedited mile hike back to the car and a hurried drive to the walgreens ensued, with the camera body on to power the back all the while. I replaced the little cr2032 battery and everything went back to normal. I now have a spare in the bag, but I am wondering if there are any warning signs which would have alerted me to this problem?

2. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Warning enough, I think? :smile:

Carry 3 spares of those pesky little CR2032 batteries; two of my Canon remote TTL-corded flash controllers use these and I have lots of spares handy (for those, as well as many other things around the house and studio).

3. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A good boyscout is always prepared. :smile:

4. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... with a Mamiya RB67 backup, no batteries required.:D

When I was photographing in Hawaii I had my Mamiya 645 all ready to go with cable release attached and film loaded. The first frame of a huge tree root went fine, I advanced the film again and the shutter just fired, I did it again and it fired after I advanced again, and again, and again. I was ready to quit and when I started to take the cable release off I noticed that it was depressed and the lock was on. I have an entire roll of that tree root.

5. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am always very careful to make sure the camera is set to single, not continuous. I am going to buy another pack of 2032 Batteries and put them in my bag. I always carry 12 AA batteries (Sanyo Enerloop), so might as well add a couple more ounces of weight :smile:

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a ritual with the 645af: as a way of saving battery power, I set the focus to manual and leave it there unless I *really* think I need AF.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Batteries need not apply for Hasselblad A12, A24, A16, or A32 backs.

Steve