Annual Weston Photographic Auction

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Merg Ross, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Merg Ross

Merg Ross Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  2. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

I see that they exclude students who use digital capture. That probably eliminates the best and most original work being done these days.

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bill,
    Excluding students who use digital capture eliminates some work. I think to say it eliminates the best and most original work can only be said by a person who walks with blinders through the photographic art world. There are still huge numbers of photographers doing fantastic work using any on of the many analog processes from wet plate to silver gelatin and platinum.

4. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

1) I said PROBABLY, and 2) it refers to the students, not the general photographic community. Welcome to the 19th Century.

5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, good grief. These folks are giving away money and they can give it to who they wish. If they wish to give it to what they consider important, as opposed to what you consider the "best" and "most original", um, oh well! :rolleyes:

6. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Could use one of those Souhtwest Airline get aways about now

7. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    At the college where I teach we fill nine analog classes each semester. It is only with difficulty that we fill two digital classes. A fair number of those who enroll in digital classes do so only because they are required for their degree.

From these numbers I theorize that the students truly interested in making art are far more interested in analog,and yes 19th century in some cases, than in digital.

Kim and Gina's efforts to further the interest in analog processes is to be cheered, not derided.

8. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wish I could see the images that are being offered? Am I missing how to see it?

9. Merg Ross

Merg Ross Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Robert, on the left margin, click "Annual Auction Fundraiser". That should take you to the images.

10. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darn, I'm sorry to have missed the auction. Prices seem very reasonable. I need to pay attention next year -- and save some money!

Mike