Annular Solar Eclipse in the West: Your Plans?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Klainmeister, May 17, 2012.

1. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi all,

We're gonna have one hell of a show this Sunday as the moon blocks out most of the sun for a stretch across from Oregon to Texas. I was curious as to the plans people have for this event?

I myself have the Santa Fe Century bike ride that morning...so I hope I get done in time, but I plan on driving out to Chaco canyon and shooting some ruins with teh crescent/ring of the sun in the Western horizon.

So, what's your big plan? Anyone gonna be able to be at the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion? Anything?

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stay home and save the travel costs. A partial will be visible from here just before sunset.

3. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might do Zion, PM me though if you are serious about Chaco, I am in Aspen and might make the drive with my wife in our spaceship....

4. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Heading down to Cedar city utah.

5. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definately thinking about Chaco.

7. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The show at Chaco was great.

8. mts

mts Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The show from my front porch was just fine and there were a couple of homebrews (ale, not developer) to go with it. Sun was eclipsed about ten degrees over the Jemez Mtns. against a clear sky after passing behind a small cloud bank.

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Projected eclipse image through 760 mm nikon onto white wall , gave nice sized image.

10. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dang, you beat me -- all I had was a 600mm Nikon lens (but just now remembered I had a 12-21-28 TR I could have used!) Stayed at home -- some light clouds with breaks in between. Got a couple shots with the Rolleiflex of eclipses on the side of the house thrown thru the leaves of the plum tree.

Vaughn

11. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good for you! Looking forward to the results

12. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Chaco was mighty fine. I couldn't believe the crowds though!

13. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So the negs are washing now so I have time to think this through... is it more important than ever to stick to the principles and silver print before sharing? Or is this one of those exceptions?

Should I print full-frame on 11x14 as my standard? Or zoom in and print cropped but still blown up to 11x14? Or should I just print postcard sized? All these possibilities...

I'm leaning towards pulling out the 28mm and going for 11x14 cropped. It's going to be funnnkkkyyyy!

14. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Stuck to principles. Pulled out the 28mm and went for zoomed-in 11x14 cropped. Galerie 3 Matte. Has a wacky paper negative/bromoil look though it is 100% traditional film and paper.

15. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's in the gallery...

After giving out all kinds of eclipse viewing advice, I wasn't ready to take pictures so here is what I improvised at the last minute...

Everyone was reaching for their 12 stop ND filters but I don't have anything like that. So I projected an image on black construction paper and photographed the projection on Kodak Panatomic-X with OM-1 and 50mm macro.

The longest lens I have (short of a telescope that I could have unpacked but the eclipse was already started...) is the LF Dallmeyer Dallon 12". I mounted it on an open cardboard 12 x 9 x 6 box. I was thinking 12 inch focus but mounted it on the 9 inch side. Still not close enough by two inches. Nice telephoto design... 12 inch lens with a 7 inch throw...

So inside the cardboard box, on a two-inch platform, I taped a sheet of black construction paper. Spent the afternoon wandering the backyard with my head in this contraption. With clear skies, I used ND 2 stop filter and f/64 on the Dallmeyer. Only got the sun in those shots. But when the clouds came in, I found I was able to open the Dallmeyer wide and throw silhouettes of everything on the horizon.

For the print, I did what I said I'd do. It's the 28mm and with the enlarger at 28 inches, I think I am getting about 24x enlargement on this 11x14 print.