Another Great Darkroom Video.

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Toffle, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure most of you have seen this, but I couldn't find any reference to it here. (I didn't look that hard, so mods can remove this if they like)
    A three-part video in Italian, with english dubbing and subtitles, in which eight students print negatives from a published book. It's an odd cross between Monty Python and Cube. (shut in a bare room, trying to solve its mysteries) They only get one shot at their final print, which adds to the reality show vibe of it, but I would like to have seen what they could do after an initial critique of their first print.

2. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    That was very entertaining.

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had seen this some time ago and as you have hinted, it promises more than it delivers if you want to learn anything about printing.

Pity, as it wouldn't take much to make it really informative

pentaxuser

4. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brilliant! Just watched the first part (it's already 1.00am so I'm going to watch the rest tomorrow), but this is very entertaining and could appeal to younger people with an interest in analog as well.

5. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just watched them all -- great fun! If this was made into a tv show I would be a faithful watcher!

6. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For TV (which I don't watch) this was nice. I could envision one of my professors doing something like this. It wasn't too far fetched of an idea. I even learned something, I didn't know that WT paper, gets darker in the fix and needs to dev less (I don't print WT much). I cued the video to the exact point, click here for the 101 on WT. All in all this was not only entertaining but informative at times. Good watch.

7. manet

manet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link Toffle :smile:

jp

8. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very inspiring!

Time to print now.

9. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always expose such that I can develop the print to the end and do not interrupt the development. As I use to switch on white light after fixing, how can I know about the darkening of the print in the fix?

Ulrich

10. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have added these videos by Italian printer Luciano Corvaglia to the APUG Video section, which is just a link directory to the original YouTube videos, so you can watch them now from within the APUG environment.

11. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And also very nice to watch and part of Luciano's YouTube channel (Darkroom Project 2011):

[video=youtube;ZFyYh2yVqoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFyYh2yVqoU[/video]

I love seeing them converting an entire historic hall into one giant darkroom by starting to develop pre-exposed mega prints there by dousing them coarsely with developer as a kind of performance!

12. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Outstanding! I want to do this. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  13. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too! :wink:

But actually, I am beginning to wonder if they actually develop (which would require an additional stop or at least fixing stage), or simply throw developer or strong selenium toner onto a "previously-developed-but-bleached-back" piece of photo paper... If they developed it the first time, the developer would likely give a slower response and initially a more blotchy result (until full development). Well, at least with FB, but this is probably RC.

If they pre-developed and pre-bleached it, the additional advantage would be that you had an image not much susceptible to light, you could almost do the re-developing in broad daylight (well... certainly no issue with the kind of lighting you see in this video).

Anyway, the light bulbs in the end seem genuine enough dark room bulb with their orange-green color... so it may have been a first time development.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  14. darkroom_rookie

darkroom_rookie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  15. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format