Another Isolette III Focusing ring

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Polybun, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Polybun

Polybun Guest

I was able to retract the screws on mine, but mared the threads while doing so and all 3 are now permantley seized in place. If someone has a parts camera laying around, I could really use it.

I suppose the good news is, the shutter is all cleaned up and like new and just waiting for a new focus ring. :/
  2. Windscale

Windscale Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Medium Format
    Solinar 75/3.5 or 85/4.5 or Apotar 85/4.5?
  3. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Just the Apotar I'm afraid, but I do enjoy this camera and would like to get her going again.

Actually, now that I think about it, you know, i don't recall and i can't find the part :/ It was the lowest end lens, pronto shutter with just 4 speeds and B.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
  4. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Sep 2, 2006
    Cleveland, O
    Multi Format
    Seized so you can't tighten them or seized so you can't loosen them?

I had one with stripped threads where I simply epoxied the focusing ring back to the lens barrel - the choice being a useless camera or a useful (though no longer disassemblable) camera.

If you can get the screws out you can also re-tap the holes and use larger set screws.

A bit of WD-40 and rest in a warm place can quite often loosen the most recalcitrant screw. Give the screws a sharp rap now and then to help the WD-40 penetrate.
  5. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Seized in the out position so that i cannot get them in. Atleast it isn't stuck on the cammera I suppose. I do work as a machinist but our shop handles nothing even close to that small. I could just drill and tap 3 brand new holes. But i have no idea where to get some set screws that small, and then i have to get a tap drill and tap to make holes for them. I guess if anyone can recomend a shop to purchase such things from, I would be more than willing to got that route. Typically though, drills that small, taps that small are all custom ground on a per order basis, making them cost probably very near $100. At that point, i could just buy another isolette III for parts, maybe even an Isolette I or II and rob them of their focus ring.